New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bullet Pulling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
in answer to your question, yes, the kinetic puller will work.... I've used one for several years with good results...

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The suggestions offered are excellent. I have 2 kinetic pullers and use them on a regular basis to disassemble old ammo.
A suggestion I'd like to add is to use a large wood mallet to strike the puller against. I swing the puller and the mallet together against each other. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to be able to control the striking force a little better this way. I load and work on a 1.5" thick bench and it makes a lot of noise smacking a puller against. The mallet seems to eliminate a lot of that.
The suggestion to put some wadding in the cavity of the puller is a good one. The soft noses of most pointed bullets will surely deform if not. I stick a foam ear plug in it and it works great.

Puncher

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never shoot any bullets I pull, so since I throw away the bullet, I just put the cartridge in the shell holder, raise the press ram until the bullet is above the "C" piece, then clamp it with a a sidecutter or other pliers. Holding with my left hand, I then lower the ram with my right to pull the bullet. Works perfect, and faster than dicking around with a puller.

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have had 4 Kinetic bullet pullers 3 of them have broken. I use a piece of wheel weight lead (the size of a small cast iron pan) to smack them on. I would recommend a Hornady bullet puller or use the pliers method mentioned if you are not going to save the bullets.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi guys, I have busted 4 or 5 Kinetic bullet pullers myself I send them to RCBS and they keep sending me new ones. I bought an RCBS press mounted collet die and have most of the inserts now. Hey that is a great idea using your press and side cutters on the bullet to pull them. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you just have a few to dissasemble one of the kinetic units that you smack on a hard surface would work fine. RCBS and others sell these. Put some soft padding in the bottom of the puller to cushion the bullet noses as they come out of the cases.

I prefer a collet type puller, mainly because it is easy to use, and even more mainly because I make a lot of mistakes. I have both a Forster and a Hornady. I prefer the Hornady for my use because because the handle on the cam-lock assembly is very fast to use.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will that RCBS kinetic puller work for long cartridges like the 7mm stw? I only have to unload about 10 -15 rounds.

posted Hide Post
like John i have made a few mistakes and use the rcbs works fine on anything i have used it on including my 280 should work on the stw

Posts: 23 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some 7mm stw loads that I want to disassemble. I have never pulled any bullets before and need some help. Which type of bullet puller is best for this? I want something safe.

Thanks
Justin

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I tried a kinetic puller. Come get it and it's yours.

I bought a collet type (RCBS) and it works great. It's less trouble and much less mess than the kinetic.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pulling bullets is sort of an art form. Kinetic pullers work OK if the bullets pull easy. If not you can deform the case rims. Old reloads and factory stuff should be reseated a Little till you hear them pop loose then try to pull them. A cotton wad from a medicine bottle in the bottom of the puller will save your bullet tips.
Use a shell holder instead of the aluminium collet to hold your cases.
Collet type pullers are safer and work fine, usually faster if you have many to pull.They can slip if the bullets are really stuck. If so reseat as above.
I save the bullets and reload them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips, since I only had to unload 10 rounds, I just used the pliers and press. Ruined the bullets, but still cheaper than ordering a puller even though it was those darn expensive barnes bullets.