New
Find
Notify
Tools

To bed or not to bed??
 Login/Join

<heavy varmint>
posted
I put a Bell @ Carlson premier stock on my Win. M70 FTWT that was giving me fits. Rifle shot its best groups ever with some loads I just happend to have allready made up. No load developement and three 3 shot one ragged hole cloverleaf 100 yard groups. Now my question is, will bedding the action make it even better or should I leave well enough alone?

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Pablo>
posted
PULL THAT SUCKER APART AND REASSEMBLE IT , shoot it again if it repeats, leave it alone, if not it may need a little tuning. I dont subscribe to the glue-in philosophy, It is a short cut for those who do not know(or too lazy to learn) the procedure to bed properly. IMHO

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do me a favor and tell me more about the "fits" that rifle was giving you. I've got some fits of my own going with a M70 fwt that I HAVE bedded and would like to get to the bottom of. I would love it if it were simply the stock. Thanks.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob338. How much more can you ask?

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it will shoot like that all the time leave it alone I douht that if you bedded it it would hurt it but why bother.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it shoots consistent groups like that all day long , keep that baby just as she is. As for the loading , send a copy to the bank manager , one to the priest , and one to the bank vault . I think you should prety much be covered [Big Grin]

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't turn a screw in it..leave well enough alone, if it quits shooting then fix it....

Just because one glass beds a rifle does not mean it will shoot...One can very easily glass bed one improperly or in a manner the gun does not respond to...and free floating is not the cure all some profess it to be, it is just one option of 3.....

I have seen some glass bedding jobs that near put me into hysterics, litterally rolling in the floor. I have seen inletting do the same with 1/4" gaps on each side of the barrel that one could water his horse in...and the owners proud as punch, poor dumb b------ds, and I mean that kindly...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote