New
Find
Notify
Tools

WARNING! Kinetic Bullet Pullers!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a kinetic puller for years.I had a pile of ammo someone had given me.

The kinetic puller just takes too long. I went out and bought a hornady cam lok bullet puller and never looked back.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's for sure. I think they're designed for small amounts like the test reloads that didn't shoot so well. Heck, you even know what type powder went in them. . . hopefully.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think that you may not have to resize before loading again with the collet puller. True or will the neck tension be too light?

Neck tension will be less than it would be with a case that has been resized, wheter bullet is pulled w/hammer puller or collet puller.

quote:
What does the expander ball do to screw the concetricity up? Should they be sized without it?

Most shellholders are a bit sloppy and will allow the case to tip as it is pulled over the expander ball which stretches the neck off center. Some are worse than others. Several things can be done to reduce the amount of runout produced by the expander ball.

1) Put expander stem in a drill and polish the expander ball. You can even reduce the size a bit to reduce friction between the ball/neck. Use crocus cloth for the final finish; the smoother, the better.

2) Adjust the height of expander ball in the sizing die so that the ball enters the bottom end of case neck while the upper end is still in the neck portion of the die so that the case is held centered while ball starts straight.

3) Clean inside case neck w/brass or stainless bore brush to remove carbon and lubricate inside neck w/dry lubricant (graphite).

The less friction you have between expander ball and case, the straighter the case comes out of die.

Bullet runout is not so important at short ranges as it is for long range shooting but it doesn't take a lot of effort to reduce to a minimum.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ol'Joe, I have known quite a few people who could be described as "often wrong, but never in doubt".

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey hm1996!
I don't understand your explanation of the adjustment of the expander ball. In my sizing dies, the expander ball is way down low by the decapping pin and enters the neck well before it is in the neck sizer at the top of the stroke. The expander ball enters as the case is pushed into the die. I have Redding and RCBS dies............?????

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Sure, so while the bullet is going to the bottom of the hammer, only a few grains manage to come out?? Well, if you say so.

you explain what is happening then. Confused

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
Ol'Joe, I have known quite a few people who could be described as "often wrong, but never in doubt".

My wife claims whom ever 1st said the quote had to be talking about me. She calls it being bullheaded though....or bull something or other Roll Eyes

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Hey hm1996!
I don't understand your explanation of the adjustment of the expander ball. In my sizing dies, the expander ball is way down low by the decapping pin and enters the neck well before it is in the neck sizer at the top of the stroke. The expander ball enters as the case is pushed into the die. I have Redding and RCBS dies............?????

Ooops, forgot to mention that I decap in a separate operation. Sorry for any confusion.

Regards,
hm

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:

No offence taken. I've been thinking about it a little. Do you have a plug in the bottom that is harbouring some grains between whacks?

Some grains caught in the shell holder, cap thread, and fall in? I'd start whacking and watch after each go, and espically before starting.

Could be gremlins. Don't think they're getting out the hollow point. Smiler

keep us informed if you find out. I love a mystery.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
I have had an intersting thing happen when using my kinetic puller.
After hitting it a few times,the bullet will start to move ,but will not be out yet,or so it seems.Closer examination will show a few grains of powder out of the case...but the bullet is still in the case.Only thing I can figure is the bullet comes out of the case ,and rebounds back up and goes back into the case mouth,leaving some powder in the puller.It has happened a few times,sometimes quite often.

Wow, you've managed to change the laws of physics at your reloading bench. Cool.

Maybe it is just Quantum tunneling ?

Or maybe you just didn't dump all the powder out from the last round you hammered? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife claims whom ever 1st said the quote had to be talking about me. She calls it being bullheaded though....or bull something or other

Ol'Joe, My mother would have called me "bull headed". I prefer "strong willed".

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"So, with me, a small uncrimped cal will come out with one heavyish whack , look to see if it's moved, one medium, and one more light tap.

A light projectile in a small neck shouldn't have much sway (pun). Again with the 500gr projectiles, light taps because of the weight/momentum/kinetic energy available."

I've never had an easy time using a kinetic bullet puller. I've tried light taps, heavy taps, taps on the concrete floor, taps with a piece of carpet on the concrete floor, taps with a car mat on the cocrete floor, taps on blocks of wood, you name it. The bullets never come loose with few whacks.

I've just finished reloading some 243WIN and set the 100grn bullet too deep in the first case. Assembled the kinetic bullet and whacked it for five minutes; bullet didn't shift.

1. What am I doing wrong?
2. Are kinetic bullet pullers true to the hype?

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
quote:
Originally posted by jb:

No offence taken. I've been thinking about it a little. Do you have a plug in the bottom that is harbouring some grains between whacks?

Some grains caught in the shell holder, cap thread, and fall in? I'd start whacking and watch after each go, and espically before starting.

Could be gremlins. Don't think they're getting out the hollow point. Smiler

keep us informed if you find out. I love a mystery.

I would agree that it is the piece of foam material at the end of the puller that catches some powder from previous pulled loads. I have noticed this due to seeing some short cut grains in with my last batch of loads pulled that had IMR4350.

Posts: 94 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornI just shattered my third impact bullet puller yesterday. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
popcornI just shattered my third impact bullet puller yesterday. Eekerroger

I’m on the third one myself but I switched to a collet puller and it’s just too easy. No more setting on the back porch banging the kinetic puller on the concrete. The kinetic puller is pretty much retired these days.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
would think that you may not have to resize before loading again with the collet puller. True or will the neck tension be too light?

For best accuracy, I always neck size after pulling bullets in a collet type puller. You can usually feel a difference from case to case in pressure required to seat the new bullet if you don't.

Yes, the expander ball can pull necks crooked if not set up properly. Shell holders usually support the case (a bit loosely) only about half way around and as the ball is forced through the neck, this loose fit allows case to tilt just a tad resulting in crooked necks and more bullet runout.

Polishing exp. ball or using a carbide expander helps as does lubricating inside case necks. Also setting the expander ball as high as possible in the die so that case neck is still supported by neck portion of die while expander starts in lower end of neck helps reduce runout.

Regards,
hm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey all,

I recently bought an RCBS collet bullet puller since the start of this thread. Wow what a difference in speed and ease! It's great to pull a bullet with your press straight out of the case, then just dump the powder out of the case back into the container! It's the only way to go!

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Yep! Those collet pullers are the only way to fly!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote