New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Ruger M77 308 Range Results Today 3rd Trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok guys, I am blessed as the Lord smiled on me today! This is what happened: I loaded up some 150gr. Sierra Spitzer (flat base) I used IMR 3031 as have been , but instead of 42.5gr. I used 41.5 gr. (so far a different bullet and powder charge) Throwed in Winchester LR primers and seated it at 2.795" oal, instead of 2.785." I started with a clean barrel and cold. at 100 yards off a Caldwell Rock front rest and rear bag instead of a vise. I let the barrel cool 3 to 4 minutes between each SHOT. It was only 35 to 40 degrees today here with clouds and rain also. Here's the best part. I shot a .462" 3 shot group!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I also shot some 4064 powder in 150gr. with Sierra Spitz. over 46gr. of 4064 at 2.795" oal and shot a 1.52" 3 shot group. I shot a 165 Horn. BTSP load over 44gr. 4064 with CCI primers and a 2.71" oal. (THIS WAS SOME LEFT OVER LOADS FROM AN OLDER 308 I HAD) it measured 1.22" 3 shot group. As a side note, on all 3 of these loads and shooting them, I never had to make the first scope adjustment and all hit in the 3 inch circle target!!!!!!!

Like I said, I am tickled to death. I knew the rifle was a shooter based on its performance on break in, and the way it shot Win. PP factory loads. Now I get to experience even better with my loads. Cant quit smiling or thinking about today. Thanks for all the help and the help to come because the good Lord knows Im going to need it.

" The Greatest Reflection of the Kind of Person You Are, can be Given and Answered best by the People who Work for You rather than those You Work For. "

one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
Don't ya just hate it when one of those "crappy" Rugers shoot well. Ruger Bashers will eat their livers over something like this. wave

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great work bear buck.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked. I think the people who can't get a new Ruger to shoot are in the minority. Their barrels are fantastic, and a 6.5x55 MkII was by far the most accurate (non-varmint) rifle I've ever owned.

Didn't care for the rifle and sold it (so I must be one of the Ruger-bashers Cool), but the reasons had nothing to do with accuracy.

Good luck!

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Good shootin',BearBuck.
Alot of my shooting buddies have Rugers.They love em to death.
The Remmy shooters give em alot of grief,but all of em kid me about my Savages.
I can shoot right up there with em, though.
My Savage .308 prints all day under .500" with just about anything I shove up the snout.
My Sav in .220 swift can punch right at .375"
The only Rugers I have are revolvers and pistols.A friend has a Ruger M77 in .223 that he is trying to sell.
Santa is coming to my house. Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote