THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is 2900 fps realistic velocity from the 330 Dakota?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is 2900 fps realistic velocity from the 330 Dakota?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking hard on building a 338 cal rifle. Would like input from those who have experience loading for the 330 Dakota. Is 2900 fps a realistic velocity with the 250gr bullet from a 24" bbl? I know that you can reload any case hot enough to get impressive velocity, but reasonable pressures are a must, with the cost of the brass, I plan on reloading the cases a few times, before they need to be tossed. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really need 2900 fps, you may have to go to a 225 grain bullet. If you use a premium bullet, you will actually get better performance out of a 225 grain bullet than a standard 250 grain. My favorite load is the 225 grain Barnes coated XLC bullet with RL22 powder.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 225 XLC bullets and obtained good velocity out of them. Lately I have switched to the GS Custom HV 225 gr. Most people get an additional 100 fps+ with these bullets with less pressure.

Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

[This message has been edited by Santala (edited 04-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Santala (edited 04-08-2002).]

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote