New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Anniversary Kit
 Login/Join

posted
Hello All,
I'm looking into starting reloading/handloading. I've bought a book "The ABC's of Reloading" that I am currently reading. My wife is willing to buy me the Lee Anniversary Kit for my Christmas present. That being said, I have a few questions.

1. aside from a set of dies, tumbler,cases, bullets, and powder, what will I need to purchase to start reloading.

2. how soon/or will I, outgrow the kit?

3. what are the differences between single stage/turret/progressive presses? i've heard different presses referred to by all of these names, but have no idea what the differences are or what they mean to the reloader(ie- me).

i know these are very noobish questions and apologize for asking them but i need answers.

Posts: 14 | Location: here and there | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi mrbill
Welcome to the forum.
1. primers,dial calipers,scales.

2.maybe never

3.single stage- one die inserted at a time

.progressive is multiple dies one after the
other, each pull of the handle moves you to
the next die in the process.

And there are no dumb questions.

Regards
Deafdog

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the same kit a couple years ago with the intent of dipping my toes in the reloading waters.
Very happy with the kit.
Ony reload a couple hundred rounds per year, and can't see where I'll ever need anothe kit. I agree 100% with the previous poster.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also purchased one of these kits a year or so ago and have been very happy with it. It will do what you need it to do. I also only load a couple hundred rounds a year.

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mrbill I have that kit and am very pleased with it. I have had it a couple of years now and load maybe 1000 rounds a year, in 22 Hornet and 243.

For me it has been good, does Mrsbill know that she is helping to turn you into an addict? [Big Grin]

John

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<tula9130>
posted
Get a Case Length Guage+Shellholder for trimming for each caliber you load for.The kit comes with a lock stud and cutter for mounting on an electric drill.Makes for easy,fast,nearly foolproof trimming.While the case is on the lock stud in your drill,take steel wool to polish the brass.....does a great job.Better than tumbling in my opinion.And will save money to start out with.My bolt,and sigle shot cases rarely touch the ground,the M1 is a different story and I do tumble them and some pistol cases.So if the cases are gonna hit dirt you might go ahead and get the tumbler.Brass,for the most part, is the most expensive component.

Get some loading blocks to set the cases in.

Dial calipers are a must to check overall length etc.

Dies are a matter of choice.I like Lee dies.The Pacesetter Dies are for full length sizing and have all you need to start.Later in your reloading career you`ll wanna neck size for accuracy but that is another story.

Get Lee`s Modern Reloading,it`s a great book for using the tools that come with the kit.Read carefully and you will have no problems.I taught myself slowly and surely with this book.You will love your new hobby,especially after you send the first bullet downrange,then with the good groups you will get. SmilerMidwayUSA is a good place to shop on the web.

I don`t think I`ll ever outgrow this kit.
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Lee kit a year ago and have been quite pleased. I have loaded over 2000 rounds of 44 mag, 1250 rounds of 454 Casull and 200 rounds of 300 RUM. I did break a link on my press but Lee sent me a new one within a week. Also the handle on my priming tool broke but they replaced it just as quick. I'm now considering a RCBS press, but I have no regrets in my Lee purchase. Oh yeah, I sized about 1500 lead bullets in my Lee press. Thats tough work for a press!

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I began the hobby three years ago with the Lee Kit : a very good value. This year I bought an RCBS turret press as my shooting volume has gone way up and I also felt like I needed something tougher for forming brass, etc.

Get at least a couple other loading manuals so that you have several to check. Also, the "Load Books" are a compilation of much data on a cartridge from various bullet and powder manufacturers. About $8 or so from Miday.

Then read, and re-read, the "how-to" portions of the manuals before you attempt the first batch.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Number one thing to buy (and use) is a set of safety glasses.

That being said, it's a good kit for dipping your toes into the waters to see if you like it.

I would recommend buying a used RCBS scale on E-bay and try getting a few check weights where you can. The Lee scale will work in a pinch, but the idea of a stainless knife working on an aluminum base just didn't feel right to me.

Read a couple different manuals a couple times each and try to have no distractions when you first start out (i.e. wife and kids out of the house). Even better is to find a mentor who'll show you the ropes.

It's better to ask a question than lose an eye and we were all noobs at one time or another.

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey Tula9130 nice setup but what is that brown stuff all over the top of your reloading bench? <G>

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input everyone!

Bill

Posts: 14 | Location: here and there | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that allot of guy's have started reloading with the Lee kit but as far as I'm concerned it is the best way to waste money. It does not cost that much more to go with an RCBS Rockchucker Kit that will last you for years of no problem reloading. Just one Old Reloaders opinion. I have loaded for over 35 years with the RCBS kit that I bought and have not had one problem and I load a few thousand rounds a month in 22 different calibers.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you can get the lee die set with the collet neck sizer do it. no lube required. works pretty slick.
i love my kit but the first thing i did was buy a digital scale. i swore more than once trying to get that lee scale dialed in. the press is great though. no need for anything else. the kit should come with lees book also. good reading!
enjoy it and ask all the questions you want.
hard to type with no fingers. better safe than sorry [Big Grin]
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a coupon here I got from Harbor Frieght with something I bought from them. The coupon says if you buy "Modern Reloading - 2nd edition " for 29.98 that Lee will GIVE you a free press . Maybe you could call them ( 262-673-3075 ) and tell them you lost the coupon and could they send you a new one . It would save some cash to put towards other accessories , if you are inclined to go with the Lee. If you like to shoot , you will like reloading . Good Luck .

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Along with the additional items already mentioned, you will need a powder trickler.

I have used both the RCBS Rock Chucker and the Lee Challenger press and find the Lee at least equal. The Lee powder scale is also usable after you become accustomed to it and is as accurate as any beam balance powder scale that I have ever used.

To do better than the Lee dies you will have to upgrade all the way to Forster BR or Redding Competition dies, and even then it is not a certainty you will load straighter ammo and have better accuracy. My Forster Ultra seater is better than the seating dies from Lee but both the Lee fl sizer and the Forster BR fl sizer produce cases with necks within .001" concentricity.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
l also bought the lee anniversay kit, with lee RGB dies,reasonably happy with it after 7 months, only comment l have is to be consistent when using the powder measure, otherwise you'll get different weights, but that is common to most measure's, l think?

Also the lee case trimmer length gauge l have wouldn't fit inside the case after sizing, looked at the FAQ on the lee site, a couple of minutes work with emery paper and a drill fixed that, but it would've been nice if it fitted straight away,

my lee scales seem alright, with the check weights l have,

l didn't buy a tumbler and aren't in any hurry to get one

Beg, borrow or STEAL more manuals! [Big Grin]

[ 11-07-2003, 11:55: Message edited by: Toyota ]

Posts: 15 | Location: Victoria | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it was already mentioned or if it's in the kit already, but you'll need a primer pocket cleaner, chamfering tool/deburring tool, and some sizing lube (I recommend Imperial Sizing Wax).

I buy alot of my stuff (excluding powder and primers) over the internet. Check out this previous thread I posted for some good reloading supply sites.

http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=007364#000000

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the press from that kit, and am very happy with it. Eventually, you may want to make one relatively minor change. The "toggle links" are made of zinc, and will crack with heavy use. The cure is to buy the links and a new handle for the Lee Progressive press. You'll need two links at $3 each, and the handle at $5. These are much stronger than the ones that come with the press, and they just drop right in. With that change, your press will outlast you.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Lee Annaversary kits that I use in my NRA Reloading classes. They have just about evereything you need. They have held up well in my classes and will do just about every thing a beginner could want all at a very affordable price. Pick up a good dial calliper and case trimmer as well as several loading manuals and your in business. I might recomend an NRA Reloading Class if you've never had any instruction or an experenced friend to get you started.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jim81147:
I have a coupon here I got from Harbor Frieght with something I bought from them. The coupon says if you buy "Modern Reloading - 2nd edition " for 29.98 that Lee will GIVE you a free press . Maybe you could call them ( 262-673-3075 ) and tell them you lost the coupon and could they send you a new one . It would save some cash to put towards other accessories , if you are inclined to go with the Lee. If you like to shoot , you will like reloading . Good Luck .

You can get the same deal, cheaper, without lying about it from several of the mail order discount house. MidSouth had it for $19.99 and I think someone told me that Cabela's had it.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well folks, the kit is on it's way. I have finished reading "The ABCs of Reloading" as well as "Modern Reloading". Soon I will begin reloading. If I like it and all goes well, I will be a more frequent poster here(probably with more questions than an SAT [Wink] ) Wish me luck and let's hope the wife doesn't nag me about my new hobby(even though she helped me start)!

one of us
posted Hide Post
After a divorce I got started again with a LEE Kit. I was going to work up to something better, but I'm very happy with it. I've had it for several years now. I've reformed cases and worked it hard. I reload about 6oo cases a month. I picked up one of LEE's open frame presses to size cast bullets and it does it's job just fine too. Many people will like to brag on how much they spend, I'm happier when I spend less.

AKA elbStJoeMO

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MrBill, the second most important item on your bench is quality safety glasses. Don't load without them. The first most important item? Your brain. If something does not seem right, STOP. Get some help. Many, if not most, of us started with little or no help, but don't be reluctant to ask. One more thought. Check out http://www.reload-nrma.com/ and see if there is a certified instructor in your area. And have fun. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sundog, I already have safety glasses. however, i will investigate the link, thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mrbill, it might be an exercise in futility but maybe you could get mrsbill interested in reloading/shooting. It didn't work for me but Mrs Beemanbeme prefers me home reloading rather than out drinkin' and whorin' around. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
already bought a Taurus PT-22 to teach her on. we've gone out to the range a couple times. she doesn't hate it, but she doesn't love it either. i'm doing what i can to fix that though [Smile]

<sed1945>
posted
I do every type of shooting imaginable, from handguns to benchrest. I reload for every center fire gun I own. I have dies and press's from RCBS, Lee. Hornady and Lyman. When I load my cases for Benchrest It's The Lee Equipment & dies I use every time. Lee can produce the most accurate ammo ( If you do your part ) you can make. Forget all the propaganda from the loading equipment companys. In my experance Lee's the best.