Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone reload for the 38 special
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted
I have decided to start carrying my S&W model 60 instead of my 45.I love the 45 but it is just too heavy for me too lug around these days.So to my question since I am carrying my 38 special now I want to start reloading for it.I carry 110 grain Corbon ammo in it now but to pratice with that I would have to sell the house.So who has a good load for me to try?I do like 110 grain bullets but I could go another way if it is a really good load.Thanks in advance.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have two .38 Special loads I like:

Bullet:Sierra 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Cavity
Powder:10.5 grains of Blue Dot
Primer:CCI-550
Case:Remington
Firearms:S&W 36, S&W 60, Ruger SP101, Ruger GA-32, Taurus 85
Velocity:1207 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

Bullet:Nosler 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
Powder:7.1 grains of Power Pistol
Primer:CCI-550
Case:Remington
Firearms:S&W 36, S&W 60, Ruger SP101, Taurus 85
Velocity:1164 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

Be warned, however, that these loads will definately loosen-up the S&W 60, and will bend the crane if used consistantly.

[ 07-29-2003, 04:45: Message edited by: ricciardelli ]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a model 60 that I reamed out from 38 sp to 357 mag.

The best load I have found for my model 60 with 38 sp brass was H110, 125 gr JHP, wspm

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See if you can find some of those ligh weight wadcutters - not the 146gr; they make some lighter than that like around 120 gr. Put that on top of about 3gr of Bullseye. I think the 146s kick harder than they need to. I really love the accuracy and controllability of a M60 with light bullets.

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
110gr speer bullet over bullseye.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
158 gr soft lead HP or 140 gr Rem HSP over Hodgdon Titegroup.

[ 07-30-2003, 00:51: Message edited by: Calif Hunter ]

posted Hide Post
Hello yote...,

Loading for practise,
Try 158gr Semi-Wadcutters, fueled by HP38. A pound of HP38 will load you a couple thousand rounds. a Box of 500 SWC' will run you about 20bucks++/-, you can also buy bulk 158gr JHP for a bit more.

Myself in using the 38sp. for defensive carry (stopping power) I wouldnt go with anything less than 158gr. JHP's

All The Best
Steel [Smile]

Posts: 19 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going to post my favorite .38 load, but ricciardelli beat me to it (the Blue Dot one). I used tp fire this at an old fire alarm bell at 100 yards - it generally resulted in 4 out of six shots ringing the bell out of a Model 10. Nice load, hits almost like a .357, but beware of muzzle flash in dim light - Blue Dot is pretty brilliant in that regard and can blind you for followup shots.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
158 grain LSWC
4.9 grains W-W 231

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
My vote goes for the 158g LSWC.

I feed my Chief Special

Speer's 158g LSWCHP
7.2g of Blue Dot
Win Primer

I use the Speer lead bullets as they are softer than most cast slugs. I admit the HP is more for appearance than effect. The std. SWC works fine too.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, the Maz and the Scoutmaster Beat me to it.
Blue Dot is the most accurate powder I have found in a 38 Special.

I use a lot of 125 grain HollowPoints just in case my wife has to shoot it, as it kicks less than the heavier weight bullets. Like ScoutMaster, I just use 7.5 grains of Blue Dot.

My bullet of preference for defense, ( which thanks be to God, I never had to use) are the XTP bullets.
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A distinct minority view.

You simply cannot jack the .38 Special up enough in a 2" barrel to be worth the strain on the gun. Stick with wadcutters and shoot a lot of them.

3.0 Bullseye or 3.2 grains 231.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Oldmodel70>
posted
Good, old, Bullseye, has been working in short, stubby, barrels for years......accurate, economical, meters easily, less muzzle flash.... A quick look in the Speer manual reveals lots of load combinations......With all due respect to the Blue Dot burners, I wouldn't attempt to adapt a full power .357 magnum powder to a stubby little belly gun......... Grant.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I must be the only person still loading Unique! [Wink] I use 4.5 gr. under a jacketed 158 gr. and 5 gr. under a lead 158 gr. HP. I used to use 6.5 gr. Unique with the Hornady 110 gr. Jacketed but that wasn't a favorite. Bullseye or Unique, W231 of Titegroup, faster powders seem better suited for the snubbies. BTW, what are the Corbons loaded with?

Whatever you choose, tell us about it!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention in my post that my load is for a K-frame or better. For a little J-frame, reduce to 8.0 grains.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i like the remington 125 gr bought in bulk(500)and red dot. not that big a difference in price compared to lead, and not as messy to handle.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saline:
i like the remington 125 gr bought in bulk(500)and red dot. not that big a difference in price compared to lead, and not as messy to handle.

If those are the SJHP (semi-jacketed hollow points), they work great from the .357 Mag and 9x19mm as well.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Clark, reaming out a S&W 60 to .357 length !? You're kidding, aren't you ? I hope nobody's taking this seriously [Eek!]

BEcoole, try inverted HBWC's. You'll be surprised by the expansion.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regarding the Rem 125 gr SJHP, I read a test where the various 125 gr bullets were tested.
The 125 Rem SJHP was the most consistent as far as expansion was concerned at a wide range of velocities. Expansion was good at all velocity levels from .38 Spl to .357 Mag.

That is what I buy in bulk as a combination of practice and self defense loads.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I've gone through a couple of thousand (at least) and used them in .38 Special (not now but not because of performance), 9x19mm, .357 Magnum and some in the .357 Maximum from my 21" carbine barrel! I think that last application exceed the ability of this bullet to hold together in the target..., even a groundhog. [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clark, reaming out a S&W 60 to .357 length !? You're kidding, aren't you ? I hope nobody's taking this seriously
Andre,
I am not kidding.
All I do with 17 of the handguns calibers I reload is incremental overload work ups to see what happens.
38 sp is one of the calibers I just shoot overloads to see what happens.

I have reamed 5 of my 38 specials out to .357 mag with a $17 straight fluted .380" reamer from J&L and a few twists of the wrist.

I don't own a "real" 357 mag, so when ever I post 357 mag overloads, I have been shooting them in a 38 special.

Life has not been easy for some of my 38 specials:

The Colt Agent Aluminum frame 38 sp bent with a load a couple grains passed the Alliant max for 110 gr. Blue Dot 357 mag, but shot in a 38 sp case with 38 sp OAL.

One of 5 Colt Police Positives I got for destructive test blew into little pieces at about 50% more powder than Hodgdon's max load for LONGSHOT and 158 gr. for 357 mags. That was a reamed pistol using 357 mag brass.

And no one takes me seriously.
If they did I would tell them that 26 gr. LIL'GUN, WSPM, and 158 gr. in a 357 mag takes powder pre compression to load, but it will beat the energy of any other 357 mag load at that pressure.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Clark - I won't be borrowing any of your reloads any time soon. You're out there on the cutting edge [Eek!]

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote