New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing powder.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am sure this has been asked many times before but I can't find anything useful. I reload for everything I shoot: pistols, rifles, skeet guns, so I have a LOT of different powders. I live in Florida so I am afraid to store them in the garage due to the high humidity. I currently store them in the house but am very afraid of fires. What to do? I could store some of the cans/bottles in a gun safe (and in fact do this with the less frequently used powders), but don't have room for all of them.
Suggestions? What have I missed?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three things I always keep in mind when storing powder, cool, dry, and out of direct sunlight. I know it gets hot and humid in FL, but as long as you store the powders in sealed containers they'll be fine in your garage.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I store my powder in my little shop in their original containers.
I try to keep the temperature as constant as I can with a small air conditioner and in winter a small heater.
For the last 12 years I have been staying about 75 degrees,unless I am working there then it does get a little cooler.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Powder doesn't slef combust so as long as you store it away from flames, it's safer in the house than some cleaning fluids. If you wantto store it in the garage, get a cheap ice chest & drop a desicant pack in with the powder & leave the lid shut.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred my concern about smokleless powder is that it is an accellerant and even a small fire will become a major firestorm very quickly generating a lot of heat. The ice chest idea is interesting but I would use it in the house probably. The powder inside would be protected for quite some time before any spark or flame penetrated the chest. I like the box idea because it is not made of cardboard or wood but a rather inert material. Any other ideas for boxes?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned about the heat (and humidity) degrading the powder.

Have you considered getting a chest freezer and keeping it in the garage? Freezing the powder wouldn't affect it in the least. Chest freezers are inexpensive and come in all sizes.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
If you want to store it in the garage, get a cheap ice chest & drop a desicant pack in with the powder & leave the lid shut.

I agree with this 100%. I store some powder in an ice chest in and storage shed that can get to near 100 degrees during the summer. Even during a hot spell the temp in the chest does not get much above 70 degrees.

Another great option is an old refrigerator or chest freezer. It does not need to be plugged in and running and it will still do a fair job regulating temp. But the best thing about a chest freezer or refrigerator is that it would be a great defense(short term) against fire.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With respect to powder storage and the danger of fire, keep in mind that smokeless powder does not "explode" (unless it is tightly contained) it burns. SO--any storage "locker" needs to have a lid (or door) that will pop open from any pressure generated by burning powder to release pressure and minimize the danger. If you have powder stored in an old fridge or freezer and the fire gets it hot enough to set the powder on fire you are WAY past the point of worrying about increased burn--all that is going to happen is the fire will get a bit hotter, there is no danger of an "explosion". Powder stored in a tightly contained container is a whole other ball game.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be a smart ass, but if I had a full on house or garage fire goin' down, the last thing I'd be worrying about was whether or not my powder was going to burn or (doubtfully) explode.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Rohrer:

Have you considered getting a chest freezer and keeping it in the garage? Freezing the powder wouldn't affect it in the least. Chest freezers are inexpensive and come in all sizes.

I would NOT freeze the powder. What do you think is going to happen the first time you take it out of the freezer? It is going to start sweating and produce condensation, especially in Florida with the heat and humidity.

IMHO, this is a very bad recommendation.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a wood working buddy build me a powder storage box. A two foot high by two foot wide by three foot in length 3/4 inch plywood box lined with a double layer of sheet rock and a hinged lid built the same. We put it on casters so that it will roll around on my concrete basement floor, it is quite heavy of it's own weight. I don't lock the lid so that it can lift if it needs to. My basement is heated and cooled and I run a dehumidifier in the hot months. This will hold approx 200 pounds of powder and it has worked for me for several years. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
I would NOT freeze the powder. What do you think is going to happen the first time you take it out of the freezer? It is going to start sweating and produce condensation, especially in Florida with the heat and humidity.

Are you saying that even though the powder is stored in an airtight container, when it is exposed to air during the reloading process, the powder will attract moisture as it warms up?

I have some HP38 I don't want; I will try this as an experiment. What should I look for on the powder as it warms up?

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:

Are you saying that even though the powder is stored in an airtight container, when it is exposed to air during the reloading process, the powder will attract moisture as it warms up?

I have some HP38 I don't want; I will try this as an experiment. What should I look for on the powder as it warms up?

Yeah, that is what I'm saying. It might not hurt the powder left in the container, if put back in the freezer quickly, but what about the powder you're going to use for reloading. I liken it to what happens when you pull a cold drink out of the fridge. It'll start to produce condensation when warming up. It may not do it in your drop tube, but it could still happen inside the brass before/after the bullet is seated.

Who knows, it may not happen? But, I would do as you're going to do and make a little trial run. It just sounds like a bad idea, IMHO.

Let us know how things turn out.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
craigster, my concern is that it may not start as a "full on house fire" but once it reached the powder it sure as hell would be!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a cheap, used refridgerater and put it in the garage. If you're worried about heat, get a working refridgerater and set it on the lowest setting. Put a chain with a lock around it with enough slack that the door can open 2 or 3 inches so it can vent in case of a fire. The chain will keep kids and nosy people out of it and make it legal with BATF. Put a sock full of rice or a commerial air drier inside and you're good to go.
As posted, if the powder is in a sealed container, the outside humidity has no effect on it.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:

Freezing the powder is actually NOT a good idea. Besides moisture that can accumulate inside as it thaws & refreezes, there could be some drying out of the powder as it sits in the freezer. Same idea behind NOT freezing coffee. No, cool & dry is your best bet.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I said "lowest setting", I meant the warmest temp. Something in the 40-70 degree range.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote