Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 308 or 30-06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
The .308 only because I love it, but the '06 wouldn't be a mistake either...

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
If you are not going to load the 30 06 with heavier than 180 grain bullets at normal speeds, I do not think you need the extra space in the case.

I use the 308 with 185 grain megas for everything up to moose. Have only shot one moose was with a 180grain bullet, not a even a premium bullet, but a cheap copy of sierra game king. Match the 308 with a good 180 grain bullet it will handle anything a 30-06 can in my eyes.

The less recoil the better, always, in my shoulder aleast

Also the 308 is personal favorite of mine.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definatley 308,

-It is slightly more accurate (don't try and argue - it is...)
-Cheap practise ammo is much more available....
-Superior bullets available today somewhat negate the -06's advantage with heavier bullets i.e. what will a 180 -06 bullet kill that a 168gr Triple shock won't?
-Can be made in a handier rifle.
-in same-weight rifle kicks a little less.
- More efficient.
- Available in more action types.
- being a currently used Military cartridge ensures ammo availability for years.

This being said, the 30-06 is a great cartridge if all your hunting was in Alaska or for larger critters it might be the choice, but for a young hunter IMHO the 308 is the better of the two (and I do own several of both)......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Go with the .30-06 and load it down a tad.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Since you're a handloader the "less recoil" argument in favor of the 308 is moot. With H4895 the 30-06 can be loaded down to 300 Savage velocities. The only benefits of the 308 are cheap surplus ammo and the ability to work very well in a short 18-20" barrel. If a longer barrel is to be used one might as well get a 1/2" longer action and have it chambered in 30-06... it IS more powerful when loaded to its potential.

Me, I'd get the lad a 270... best of all worlds. Light recoil, flat trajectory and plenty for elk.

Brad