New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on 45-70 brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any sound opinions on the quality and capacity of the various 45-70 brass out there? Remington, WW, Starline, or Federal? I have no experience, but there must be some favorites. Thanks

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G'day again 10at6, I haven't found much difference between 45-70 brass, Most of mine is Winchester and I get several reloads from them, using RCBS dies and the Lee Factory crimp die, and my load of 55gns adi2208 (varget) win std primers, 405gn Woodleigh projies.very accurate load....Les

Posts: 115 | Location: Vic Australia | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've got some brass that's been with me since I first had my Siamese Mauser made into a 45-70. I think that was in the late 70s. It's a bit scroungy looking but shoots fine. This brass was Remington and Winchester, never came a cross any Federal. I've since purchased several hundred additional cases from Starline for use in my Winchester 1886.
I've lost more cases from carelessness on my part, then through wearing the brass out. I've stepped on them, crushed them while sizing them, had the bullet get cattywampus and crush the case as the bullet gets seated. Ruined three in my hunting coat, as I walked the ridge the cases would clink together so I used a rubber band to hold them all together. Bad idea, the rubber corroded them badly, after being left in the hunting coat until the next season.
I use the cases interchangably, as long as they are are the same approx. length they work fine.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like winchester 45/70 brass I have used this stuff mostly with a handful of rem cases thrown in but the win stuff is good.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Watch out for early stuff. Some had very rounded rims (sometimes thick), that your extractor may slip over I have seen examples from both Remmington, and Winchester.
Also of course there are still some of the old balon head cases out there Very weak.

As to the modern stuff, unlike other calibers, I don't have a preferance, I have the abitliy to muck up any of them equally!

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the commercially made high pressure 45-70 loads use special thicker walled cases.

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Cheapest REM poorest of the brass
Best: Federal Prem Nickle and Starline
Average: WW Cases

With the 45-70 highly rec to use the LEE Factory Crimp Die.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote