THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Fire Forming, Case Stretching / Head Separation tip

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire Forming, Case Stretching / Head Separation tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted
I was at the range yesterday fire forming some improved cases. I found that cold new cases have a greater tendency to show signs of stretching and cracking then warm new cases.
I over came this by firing about 3 or 4 shots with older sacrificial cases, so as to warm up the barrel, then placed the new unfired unformed case in the chamber closing the bolt and allowing about 10 to 15 seconds before settling in behind the rifle and firing.
The warm ones came out perfectly with less stretch signs than the cold ones.

If a sportsman true you'd be
Listen careefully to me........., Never, never let your gun Pointed be at anyone, That it may unloaded be Matters not the least to me. When a hedge of fence you cross Though of time it cause a loss From your gun the cartridge take For the greater safety sake. If between you and a neighbour's gun Bird shall fly or beast may run Let this rule be thine "Follow not accross the line." Stops and beaters often unseen Lurk behind some Leafy screen. Calm and steady always be "Never shoot where you can't see."
You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think of this:
"All the game ever bred Won't repay one man dead."

Posts: 42 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersThank you I'll try that. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks...experience like that is good to pass on.
Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote