New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage 1-9 twist
 Login/Join

<ty>
posted
I am wanting to buy a savage in 223 to shoot heavy bullets. will this twist still shoot the 45-55 gr bullets accurately? thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot savages with the fast twist and they shoot .25 to .375 groups with the 52's I use the myth of fast twists not shooting ligher bullets should of been put to rest a long time ago.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ty>
posted
Thanks for the reply

<dave j>
posted
If it's any help use only light bullets that can handle the twist otherwise they can come apart dramatically in flight at 3300 fps plus. I have shot 1000s of rabbits with a 9" twist and 55gn projectiles and 3 local BR matches using 52-53s with great results. 69-80grn are worth a look for long range.

posted Hide Post
Just watch which small bullets you buy. Some can't handle the high speed twist like the speer 50gr TNTs. Bought a box and didn't read. Vaporized the bullets before they got to the target. I've had luck with some 50gr Barnes Varmintators @ 3100fps. Shot .2 - .3 out of my savage 12fv

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage FV12 it even shoots 40 Gr. V-Max bullets very well

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Smilermy 12bvss-s does very well with the lighter bullets as well as the 75 grainers. Out of curiosity, why do you want to shoot the lighter bullets? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote