THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    questions on bullet lenght, case design and velocity

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

questions on bullet lenght, case design and velocity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all

I am seriously thinking of ordering a barrell for a 6.5 diameter bullet. I have not made up my mind exactly what cartridge that I want though.

I am not looking to get whiz bang velocity out of any case. That is not my goal.

What I am thinking is that I would like to throat the barrel optimally for a 120 grain bullet, however, I might like to try a heavier bullet. That means that I will have to seat the bullet deeper into the case thereby taking up some of the capacity for powder.

My goal is .260 rem velocities, pressure, and recoil.

IF I go with a 6.5-06, or a 6.5-284, or a 6.5WSM case and load only for the reduced velocity of the .260 rem. will it be detrimental to accuracy or the barrel to do a steady diet of less than normal loads for these cases?

Would going from a 120 gr bullet to a 140 grain bullet in the .260 case be a problem with diminished case capacity?

Thanks

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to save time and money, and have a good cartridge whan you are done, there is a NIB Wnchester M-70 in 6.5X55 on Auction Arms at the time.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, if you are after bullets in the 120 grain territory, why not go with the .25 calibre? The .257 Roberts is among the best of the breed.

True, 25's are flexible, but real "hunting weight" bullets start with the 6.5m/m. I think the workhorse you are after already exists in the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote