New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm 284 reloading for long range pds
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all:
This is my first post on this forum. I just built a custom Remington SA 700 in 6mm 284 with a Shilen 12 twist Number 7 contour, HS Precision stock, Jewell trigger. My purpose is to reach out however far I can to touch some distant prairie dogs, probably 700 to 800 yards. I think I want to shoot the 87gr Hornady VMax. All I have done is break the barrel in and shoot one 3-shot group. That group measured .48 inches at 200 yards. The load was 53grs of H4831. I need some more info from you guys on loads for this bullet. I have always been a speed freak, so the flatter it shoots the better. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 8 | Location: Ste. 1020, 1819 Fifth Ave. North | Registered: 25 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you set up for 87 grain varmint bullets you should be close to set up for 85 grain Partition Bullets for pronghorn as well; nice choice. I've been using medium loads from the Hornady book. There are a lot of loads in Ackley's book but they're all based on older powders.

Tom

Posts: 14627 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I think the new Nosler manual,may have loads for the 6.5-06 IMP.You can use that data for your gun.Just don't start with the max loads..284.and 06 case pretty close in case capacity.I have been using the data for the 6.5-06,and working up for the IMP.Works well for me.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]