New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 weatherby questions
 Login/Join

Picture of trannyman369
posted
I am new to reloading and I have a question about loading for this load I am shooting a weatherby vangaurd.I have loaded some 165 grain speer bullets,180 grain nosler e-tip bullets,168 grain barns tsx,165 grain nosler bullets.I have tried imr 4831,reloader 22,reloader 25 I cannot set the coal longer than book suggests,and I am not really happy with my groups.My best group was 1.385" at 100 yards using the nosler 180 grain e-tip,72 grains of imr4831,cci 250 primmers.While my group at 100 yards is more than good enough for hunting I do love to punch holes in paper.I am trying to find a load that is really accurate at 100 yards under an 1" if possible.I full size my cases,I trim them,I measure every powder charge.
So here are my questions

1 Am I loading too light of a powder charge
2 Do these guns prefer a different powder than I am using
3 How do I get around the fact that I can not set the coal longer
4 Will this affect my accuarcy
5 Do these guns like the heavier bullets
6 Do they like close to the max loads

Any help you can give would be greatly appeciated.

Posts: 2 | Location: Central B.C. | Registered: 08 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tranny Most rifles will show a preference for one bullet or another. I have owned several 300 Wbys and I have found I obtained the best groups with bullets weighing 180 or 200 grs.You have already figured out that the max overall length is going to be controlled by the length of your magazine. Most large magnums deliver the most consistant results with near max loads. I would like to suggest you try the 180 gr TSX or TTSX bullet with IMR 7828 powder and use FED 215 primers. A near max load of 7828 with these bullets group well in all 3 of my present 300 Wbys. RL 25 is also very good with the 180 gr bullets.For safety just remember to work up slowly watching for signs of excess pressure. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote