New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does glass bedding affect loads
 Login/Join

<Al Smith>
posted
I recently had my .300 Ultra glass bedded and my pet load that once shot 3/4" now is 2" and vertically strung.

My question is, did the gunsmith mess something up or will I have to fine tune my load again. He bedded all the way out to the first two inches of the barrel. I was curious if this changed the harmonics enough to make me have to tweak my load, or if I need to have him re-do the work.

Thanks,

Al

<green 788>
posted
You will need to redevelop, that's natural. Before, your load was construed to meet the barrel harmonics without the glass bedding.

Now that you're glass bedded, you'll need to redevelop.

If you're interested, check my webpage for my suggested load development plan, which should get you to a very resilient load in as few as 18 to 20 shots...

Dan

[ 02-02-2003, 19:08: Message edited by: green 788 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
He might of srewed up I would ckeck the barrel channel to see if the barrel is touching some place. How far up the barrel did he bed I like about 2 to 3 inchs then free float from there. I shoot a lot off bipods and if the barrel is touching near the front I get a lot of verical strings. The same could happen off the bench if to much pressure is on the fore end.---------
I just glass bedded a 8mm mauser that was not touching the barrel channel when I started but after the bedding it was touching heavy on the right side.

Posts: 19447 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote