New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are There Any Handloads For Sale?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am still working on getting a reloading outfit (probably for Christmas)primarily so that I can experiment with loads for my Hornet. I like the idea of the heavier 50gr bullet for coyote out to 100yrds. Problem is no ammo manufacturer's make 50gr ammo. Do any of you know of a REPUTABLE reloader who sells reloads? I sure would like to try some reloads with the LIL'GUN powder pushing a 50gr bullet between 2700-2900fps. Can you guy's help? Thanks

Oh, I forgot to tell you that my NEF Hornet has the 1:12 twist and I have found that the heavier the bullet the better the accuracy. Thanks

[ 11-24-2003, 02:16: Message edited by: .22 HORNET ]

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you can find someone with a manufacturer's license, that is a no-no.

As far as the twist is concerned, 12" twist should handle heavier bullets, but you don't have enuff case capacity to handle the heavy bullets well. You can send your NEF in and get a .22-250 barrel put on, or it can be rechambered. That would also work for .222 Rem or .223 Rem.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Probably your best bet would be to find someone with the needed reloading equipment and use it. Like Geo, I think selling reloads without a license is illegal and just plain stupid.

Posts: 13 | Location: California | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Instead buy a rifle in .223. That will solve all of your known problems. It will also avoid handloading for the Hornet which is very difficult. Hornets suffer from poor headspace control which leads to short case life and poor accuracy. This is mostly due to sloppy manufacturing but is somewhat of a design problem also.

On the other hand if you start handloading we will be happy to help with advice. When we were in high school I had a break open .22 Hornet similar to yours. I think it was a Savage 219. I handloaded for it for friends and loaned it out. This was before the gun act of 1968 etc. It was only accurate with light loads and was not a reloading problem with such low pressure loads.

However we had no coyotes in CT back then. Only chucks and crows.

Get a bolt action .223.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is legal for someone else to reload ammo for you "WITHOUT" a license "IF" you provide the reloader with the components!

When I was stationed in South Dakota, I had a Class VI (Ammunition Manufacturer) license and loaded thousands of rounds of ammo for friends and acquaintences! When I moved to NY, I let my licenses (both Class III & VI)lapse because of all the beuracratic bs involved with maintaining them! I still reload for a few people, other than myself!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about now, but you might ask at a gunshop. They used to all know someone who would reload for you. It was quite common. The shops would offer this as a service to their customers. Just be sure to specify that the loads are to be full length sized so they'll fit your chamber. I no longer know the laws in the U.S. on this. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of barefootarkie
posted Hide Post
Quality Cartridge has 50gr 22 Hornet ammo.

www.owlnet.com/quality/index.html

Posts: 51 | Location: Redfield,Ar | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I think your 1/12" twist will stabilize a flat-based 50 grain bullet. But if you are able to get 2700-2900 SAFELY out of that litttle case, and get more than one rel;oad out of the brass, I'd like to hear about your load! [Big Grin]

<phurley>
posted
.22 HORNET ----- Try www.superiorammo.com they load just about every chambering know to the reloading world. Their product is first rate. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
phurley - I emailed these guy's 4 days ago with my request and haven't heard back. Thanks

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
I was shown some pictures of a Glock blown up by using commercial reloads. Powder charges of the rounds remaining in the magazine were weighed and they ranged from 3 to 7 grains of the same type of powder (type unkown). I realize this could be done by a home reloader also, just be careful and be sure of what you are getting.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your replies. I have seen other's on different bulletin boards post their recipies for loading the Hornet and some were claiming they used 13.2 to 14.0 grains of Lil'Gun. Everything I read say's 13.0 is max. Is Hodgdon just being cautious or are these other guy's flirting with disaster?