New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Handheld Primer bushings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been using my Hornady Handheld Primer tool long enough to have lost the manual and now I'm starting to prime my first batch of .40S&W with the small diameter primer seating rod.

The smaller rod has some slop and the primers don't seat smoothly. In the primer tool box I have a set of bushings that I think go with the handheld primer tool, but I can't figure out how they're to be used. I'd think they'd insert into the bottom of the shellholder, but none of them will seat all the way in.

I've tried finding a users manual for the tool on the web, but no luck.

Does this ring a bell with any of you? Any help will be appreciated.
BTW, I am using a Lee shell holder.
Thanks

Posts: 78 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shell holders, while standardized to a point, will have uniquely sized center holes varying with manufacturer (Redding and RCBS may be the same, per my memory). The Hornady tool is supplied with a pair of adaptors, large and small primer sizes, for the RCBS shell holder. Their configuration is a rimmed sleeve. These may be the bushings to which you are referring.

The only shop that carries reloading equipment near you (of which I'm aware) is David's Gun Room on Buford Highway in Norcross. They don't have Hornady, but do carry RCBS. They can probably help you with a new shell holder.

You can call them at 770-447-6021.