Find
Notify
Tools

Novice rifle reloader question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted
Hello everyone. I appreciate the great deal of knowledge on these forums. I'm a new member and new to reloading the .270 Win cartridge. As a caveat, I have primarily reloaded for handgun and for .223/5.56 mm for my AR. I have about five years experience in general reloading.

I am ready to begin reloading for my .270 Win and have my recipe and all the particular components. I have completed my case preps and will begin working up some test loads. Specifics: Nosler 130 gr BT Spitz., IMR 4895 (using powder loads beginning at 42.0 to 46.0 max). All cases are new brass and have been trimmed to same length. When I first fired my rifle, I used factory ammunition and was very pleased with the grouping even though their casing length and C.O.L. measurements varied (pre-measured before firing factory). My question is simple. I am leaning toward using the average C.O.L. taken from my pre-fired measurements (3.255) for my hand loads because the factory ammunition used the same bullet mentioned above and it functioned very well. Am I thinking this through too much? Or, am I on the correct path with regard to establishing my C.O.L.? Thanks, hope it doesn't sound too silly.

Psalm 109:8 "Let his days be few; And let another take his office."

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know how to measure your rifles chamber ?. Are loads for hunting or paper punching for ultimate accuracy ?.

Knowing the dimensions of your rifles particular chamber is extremely helpful as well as your absolute

OAL of the magazine well . Setting up cartridges longer than will feed is counter productive .

Knowing just how long you can make a cartridge OAL before it seats in the lands is paramount .

Some like it .005 -.020 off the lands , opinions vary !. archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to go through all the trouble of reloading, then you may as well do it right. I would get an overall length gauge from Hornady and see what the max length is for your rifle. Then I would check to see if they will work in your clip and feed into your chamber (if using a bolt action). Then back off .002 - .005 with each batch of loads until you find the COL that your rifle likes best. Of course there a lot of other variables, but I think with 5 years of general reloading experience you must have a good idea of the basic issues.

If you want to get the best consistency, then you may want to get more equipment (assuming you don't have it) such as a concentricity gauge, primer pocket uniformer, bullet comparator, etc., etc. You didn't say what the groups were other than you were pleased with them. I wouldn't waste my time reloading if I had very acceptable results from factory ammo. I reload when I don't get acceptable results from factory ammo. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most reloaders try to experiment with long lengths, getting the bullet close to the lands. You're probably limited by magazine length, and may want to see what that technique will provide while retaining reliable feed. You split a case neck, insert a bullet, mark the tip with a marker and see what your OAL is with the bullet contacting the lands. You can compare your magazine-length rounds to determine what your distance to lands is.

You may eventually try slower powders. H4831 is very popular for the caliber.

One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Do you know how to measure your rifles chamber ?. Are loads for hunting or paper punching for ultimate accuracy ?.

Knowing the dimensions of your rifles particular chamber is extremely helpful as well as your absolute

Thank you Doc. You and others gave me many., many things to consider now. To answer your question, I plan to reload for hunting. I am writing all of these tips down. Hadn't thought about the magazine length parameters. Thanks!

OAL of the magazine well . Setting up cartridges longer than will feed is counter productive .

Knowing just how long you can make a cartridge OAL before it seats in the lands is paramount .

Some like it .005 -.020 off the lands , opinions vary !. archer

One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 338zmag:
If you are going to go through all the trouble of reloading, then you may as well do it right. I would get an overall length gauge from Hornady and see what the max length is for your rifle. Then I would check to see if they will work in your clip and feed into your chamber (if using a bolt action). Then back off .002 - .005 with each batch of loads until you find the COL that your rifle likes best. Of course there a lot of other variables, but I think with 5 years of general reloading experience you must have a good idea of the basic issues.

If you want to get the best consistency, then you may want to get more equipment (assuming you don't have it) such as a concentricity gauge, primer pocket uniformer, bullet comparator, etc., etc. You didn't say what the groups were other than you were pleased with them. I wouldn't waste my time reloading if I had very acceptable results from factory ammo. I reload when I don't get acceptable results from factory ammo. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply and advice. I do primer have a pocket uniforming tool as well as a flash hole deburring tool that I have used on all of the cases that I prepped. I do not however, as of yet have a concentricity gauge or a bullet comparator. Thanks again, you folks are great.

One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
Most reloaders try to experiment with long lengths, getting the bullet close to the lands. You're probably limited by magazine length, and may want to see what that technique will provide while retaining reliable feed. You split a case neck, insert a bullet, mark the tip with a marker and see what your OAL is with the bullet contacting the lands. You can compare your magazine-length rounds to determine what your distance to lands is.

You may eventually try slower powders. H4831 is very popular for the caliber.

Thank you Winchester. Your tip on splitting a case and using a bullet to see my distance to lands will be is something that I am going to try this weekend. I have read that almost everyone who loads .270 Win uses H4831. I went with IMR 4895 because of the reloading data that I received from Nosler. I will definately put that on my next shopping list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to spend $35 (includes the shipping), get one of Sinclair's case comparators. I just got one and the things will tell you in two microseconds if your cases are too long or too short for proper functioning. Part number for 270Win is W270G. A great tool to have. You'll never fear your reloads won't chamber at that critical moment...
quote:
...bullet comparator...

Sinclair makes a great one. Very easy to use. Measures from base to ogive or from casehead to ogive on loaded rounds. Part number for the one that will measure the 270Win and bullets from .172, .204, .224, .270, .308 and .338 is 09-700. Cost in the 2006 catalog is $17. More now, you can be sure of that...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M4Finny:
Hello everyone. I appreciate the great deal of knowledge on these forums. I'm a new member and new to reloading the .270 Win cartridge. As a caveat, I have primarily reloaded for handgun and for .223/5.56 mm for my AR. I have about five years experience in general reloading.

I am ready to begin reloading for my .270 Win and have my recipe and all the particular components. I have completed my case preps and will begin working up some test loads. Specifics: Nosler 130 gr BT Spitz., IMR 4895 (using powder loads beginning at 42.0 to 46.0 max). All cases are new brass and have been trimmed to same length. When I first fired my rifle, I used factory ammunition and was very pleased with the grouping even though their casing length and C.O.L. measurements varied (pre-measured before firing factory). My question is simple. I am leaning toward using the average C.O.L. taken from my pre-fired measurements (3.255) for my hand loads because the factory ammunition used the same bullet mentioned above and it functioned very well. Am I thinking this through too much? Or, am I on the correct path with regard to establishing my C.O.L.? Thanks, hope it doesn't sound too silly.
Have you been to www.bivwak.com noslers auction site there are lots of 270 bullets available to bid on some are firsts and some are seconds.I've been buying nosler seconds from bivwak along with my friends I used 30 caliber(300wm) 180gr blem accubonds for a successful cow elk huntin AZ.