THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back up your computerized reloading data NOW!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I'm a dumbass. I'm not good at backing up my computer because everytime I'm had some problems my local guys have been able to get my data off my hard drives and save it all. Now I just had my harddrive go down "mechanically" and the last time I printed off a "paper copy" of all my load testing was in '05. What a dumb ass.
It's not a total failure but the last 2 years I played around a quite a bit with some of the new bullets (tsx's and accubonds) and had pretty good data on what worked and didn't. Oh well...I still have a grip on the "pet" loads but still would like to know what didn't work. ALSo....I have lots of stuff loaded up and ready to keep testing so I guess I have an excuse to start building up the file again.
Anyhow just wanted to give you guys a reminder...alot of you are probably more into the guns and ammo than the computer like I was!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure bad anytime a computer goes down and you loose data. Nice that you would remind folks that it can happen.

Back a good many years ago I worked for a company that made computers - hardware and software. One of the Software Mgrs accepted a job at a different plant and left in the normal two weeks. He was the one who made sure ALL the Back-Up procedures were done daily and weekly by the Developers.

So, some of the Software Developers just let it slide and the Big Wheels in charge saw it as a "great opportunity" to save some $$$$$$ by just not replacing that Mgr in a hurry. thumbdown

After the Mgr was gone, there was a massive hard drive failure in their central Software Development Computer. Only took 2-years to get back to where they had been when the Mgr left 3-months earlier. Of course they used the opportunity to "restructure"(aka AX the folks that hadn't been backing-up their data) and hire a bunch of people who had no idea at all about the original direction of the main projects.

A banner was made for Software Development - "He who lives by the Hard Drive - dies by the Hard Drive."

Excellent reminder for those who are unaware it can (and does) happen.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey kraky

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The way I back up my data is to e-mail it to myself once a month, put it in a "RETAIN" folder and erase the old one. I suppose it is possible that MSN could lose all the data but much less likely.

I think I'll start downloading it onto one of those USB plug ins also now.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I'll start downloading it onto one of those USB plug ins also now.

I have two backup hard drives. One in the PC one is a stand alone. All my files are backed up to the in PC backup drive every couple of days automatically and I back up to the stand alone weekly and put it isn a fire/water proof lock box. Some critical stuff I also back up on a USB unit as well. Storage is cheap insurance.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
archerAbout every six months or so RE-burn a CD-RW and date it. When you are sure it took erase the old one or send it to a friend. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it makes you feel any better, the paper records are subject to failure as my wife threw out my reloading workbook about a year ago.

She thought it was one of the kid's school notebooks.

So now I have a BIG PLACCARD on the front that ensures it's survival.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I have two different manuals that I record data from all the loads I work up. Then I have a separate manual for each gun that holds the loads work-ups. In addition I have two separate ballistic programs that hold all the records that I have worked up.
I work the load up keeping written records in the gun records book. When I get done I enter the data into the computer and run the ballistics on both programs. I then print out one copy for each manual - load, range data, and ballistics data all in one record. I then keep a target with the load data on it.
I have lost data before; both hard copy and computer. I am a bit retentive about it now but I won't lose my records - unless my house burns down. Maybe I should get a bigger fire safe.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CD-RW's depend on a thin metallic layer being melted by the laser and the little "pits" of metal reflect differently depending on if the alloy takes the amorphous or crystalline form.

The rub is that over time the little metal filled pits gradually change from the amorphous form back into the crystalline
and data is lost. (potentially over a matter of 9-12months)

The way around this is copy the data to your hard drive and re-write it to the disc every 3-6 months, because re-writing
"resets" the clock on crystalization.

CD-R discs are written to by the laser darkening the same little pits filled with a plastic containing a dye that darkend when the laser hits it, but again the catch is that over time
(usually several years) the light areas of the disc gradually darken nd again, data is lost

I find it easier to simply burn a CD-R (a GOOD ONE with the "blue" azo) dye (look at the disc through a thin piece of white cloth as the difference in color is difficult to see even in good light with the discs side-by -side) as they are more durable than the greenish dye, because "preparing" a $2 CD-RW generally takes longer than simply burning a $0.50 CD-R

BTW, CD-R's made and sold for making your own music CDs
are often made to withstand more handling than plain "Data" CDs...

The more often you backup your data the less you will lose WHEN (not "if") a hard drive invariably fails.

But personally on my computer I have a "mirror" drive.
Everything I save is saved automatically to two virtually identical drives, I've never had both fail at the same time.

when one drive "dies" I save the data to TWO new drives
and put the "good" drive I've just removed in my archive file.
The bad drive goes directly into the trash.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use a Ghost drive or mirror if you like .

In my case they are net worked between 3 computers and my server . One computer has NO internet access the others are encrypted firewall protected .

For the main stream casual computer users try .

USB Flash drives are inexpensive these days so back up onto a removable flash drive or as Allan says burn a CD-R . I don't use re writes any more .
I had some important things on one years ago and like a dumb ass set it on my desk top , next to a window .
Well sun light kills the readability , so what ever you do put CD's away from the sun light !.

I also keep a hand written note book with my data in it . How ever I would NOT like to have to go all the way back and reenter all those years of data . Major PIA !.

A word of advice !.

I had a friend who through his old computers away or recycled them which ever . His H D ended up in someone else's computer system or the computer salvager sold it . Either way they stole his identity bank records personal information !. It cost him $ 1,500.00 to straighten that mess out and a little over a year to do so !.

He was under the impression that if the H D failed or he reformatted it it was un readable .

WRONG WRONG WRONG !.

I NEVER THROW a bad HD away !. I disassemble them or shred them in a hammer mill over at the scrap steel yard .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody is reading anything off of a hard drive that I toss
because I toss them only after they spend the night sitting on top of my bulk-tape eraser before I use it for target practice.

BTW, you presume there are any bank records on my computer.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allan ;
I presume nothing and assume even less .

I simply stated it for everyones benefit !.

I prefer paper targets myself or exploding ones if I'm feeling impressive or mischievous .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
EekerI got so nervous reading what Allan and Dr. K had to say I burned another disc and loaded it on my other computer that isn't internet connected. Might just load it on my cousin's computer also.

How bout a data swap every six months or what ever and load info on each others computers!!?? Maybe an Accurate Reloading Pool and Storage???

I'm on a roll now. Are you getting all this good stuff Saeed??? dancingroger jumping

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe an Accurate Reloading Pool and Storage

Make sure you have a remote location for your Backup:
1.There are online storage spaces available for very little money.
2.Burn a CD or thumb drive and mail to your PO Box or to a friend.
3.Get another email address and email to this address. ( just make sure you keep these active or they will delete and close them!! BTDT)

Maybe an Accurate Reloading Pool and Storage -Good idea!!