Find
Notify
Tools

VV Powders and .223 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

I have searched this forum, and have found many references to the successful use of N133 in .223 Rem. However, I have found no specific "pet loads".

Anybody want to contribute pet loads for .223 Rem with N133??

Until now, I have used N130 - mostly because I started with that powder and never saw a need to switch. What is your experience, and do you prefer N133 to N130 (or vice versa), and if so why??

Thanks for any input in advance. - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Mike,
have you already downloaded the manuals from Vihtavuory site?
Metric manual
or
USA manual

I've always started from them manual to change my loads when I use theyr powders.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, got the VV manual. It always occurred to me as being pretty conservative - at least in terms of velocities.

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have had pretty much equal success when trying N 130 and N 133 in my .223 Remington, at least with the lighter bullet weights.

Just this week I went to the range to test some stuff and got good results with both these powders. I am shooting a pure stock Remington 700 BDL (except for the addition of a Jewell trigger), with a 4.5 X 14 Leupold scope on it.

In a pretty bad wind condition I shot the following loads:

25.5 grains of N130 behind the 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip gave 3655 fps and a group of 0.48".

26.5 grains of N133 behind a 40 grain Hornady V-Max gave 3630 fps and a group of 0.45".

These are five shot groups at 100 yards. These loads used military cases and Remington 7 1/2 primers.

I have a buddy who can reach over 3800 fps safely with 40 grain bullets in his .223 when using N133.

I have found the darned .223 to be so forgiving that most anything works well in it. I have had excellant success with N130, N133, N135, 748, H335, H 4895, Benchmark, etc. Picking a BEST powder is kind of hard for this cartridge.

I had some good success with XMR 2015 when shooting 50 grain bullets but found some real strange lot to lot variations with that powder.
No more of that stuff for me.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used VVN540 in both .223 and 6br. I know from experience that the loads for the 6br were overpressure well before the maximum listed load (by a full grain). I'm not really sure why this is. My velocities were well above manual with less powder. It wasn't a hot day that I did my testing, either. At least from my personal experience, I'd be careful about maximum loads in the VV manual. I was like you in that I always assumed manufacturer loading manuals were conservative. Not in this instance.

Posts: 1 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always start low. What I do is, loading at the range, I use just one case. Start 10% down from book max. I load and shoot that same case going up a click each time. Keep a close eye for pressure as you go. Once you find out a max loading within reason, just toss that one case, and you can start working up your loads with that limit in mind. ...ol blue

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...by the way 133 is excellent in the .223.

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have only had good luck with n133 and heavier bullets, i.e. 69 SMK. My groups with lighter weight bullets have not been as quit as good, but acceptable.

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. Keep'em coming [Smile]
- mike

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I started using N133 I have given a friend of mine the H335 that I was using. My rifle loves it with both the 50 and 55 grain BlitzKings and the 60 gr. Sierra Varminter. I also use N540 with the 69 gr. MatchKing and the 75 gr. AMax. These powders give great accuracy, really good velocity and very low S.D's. I have had the best luck with Rem. 7 1/2 BR primers. Good luck!

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote