Find
Notify
Tools

500 NE reloading assistance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I have a 500 NE on order with (Butch) Searcy and being a reloader I ran out and bought a bunch of Huntingtons brass, CH4D dies, etc.

I'm new to reloading stuff of this size so I figured I'd ask the guys that know about this and who could give me a little guidance on a couple of issues I've discovered with this big hummer.

How in the heck do you guys prime these large cases? I use a (Forster) Coax press and they have that priming "thingy" on the top of the frame that (sorta) works but it tends to mangle the case rims. What do you guys use?

A related question, I currently use a Forster case trimmer but it's gonna be too small for these big guys. Do the cases last long enough to need to be trimmed? Do I need to get the 50BMG trimmer? As the 500 NE rim is pretty thin will the bigger Forster work here? are there other options?

Thanks for your time.

Roi

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
For the 500 NE (doesn't matter what length)

1: get an RCBS SUPREME press.... 108 and shipping from midwayusa

2: what DIES are you using .. get the CH4D and RCSB (RS/RC 3 threads)

3: get a RCBS hand primer and the right shell holders...

for expensive brass, i NEVER would use a press mounted primer... in fact, I haven't used that type of POS since i first got a decent priming tool. I love the APS benchmount

Start with 38 special (or any other CHEAP brass you have to shoot) and reload, ALOT... and work at it, ALOT... and read about filler (search in big bores on "double filler") ALOT

Your brass will be about 3 bucks, each... that get's to be steep

best of luck

jeffe

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

For the 500 NE (doesn't matter what length)

1: get an RCBS SUPREME press.... 108 and shipping from midwayusa

2: what DIES are you using .. get the CH4D and RCSB (RS/RC 3 threads)

3: get a RCBS hand primer and the right shell holders...

for expensive brass, i NEVER would use a press mounted primer... in fact, I haven't used that type of POS since i first got a decent priming tool. I love the APS benchmount

Start with 38 special (or any other CHEAP brass you have to shoot) and reload, ALOT... and work at it, ALOT... and read about filler (search in big bores on "double filler") ALOT

Your brass will be about 3 bucks, each... that get's to be steep

best of luck

jeffe

Jeffe,

Thanks for the reply, I guess :-|

I'm NOT a beginning reloader. You didn't REALLY read all of my post did you?

I currently reload
380 ACP
9mm Makarov
38 Spl
9mm Luger
357 Mag
40 S&W
44 Mag
45 ACP
270 Win
7X57
30-30
7.62X39
300 Win
8X57
375 H&H
45/70
458 Win
458 Lott
500 NE (just starting, as I said)
12 Ga.
10 Ga.

Some, more than others...

Use a Lee auto prime and Hornaday "hand primer" but they won't handle the 500 NE size shell holders.

The 500 NE brass was $1.65 per case ;-)

According to RCBS (I called) the shell holder for 500 NE
doesn't fit their hand primer.

Thanks for the hint on the APS primer, I'll look into it :-)

My Coax is FAR more press than the RCBS SUPREME, I think so anyway :-)

I bought CH4D dies as I said in my posting!

Thanks for replying.

BTW, I'm the guy you contacted about having a 510Wells, remember?

Whats Luck go to do with it?????

Roi

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
510 butch will supply you with load data

the load he uses to regualt the 500 ne is 110 grains of imr 4831 and a woodleigh 570 sp or fmj

i just bought a 500 ph grade as a companion to my searcy 700 nitro.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your in a new and strange world, so don't go experimenting with loads in a double, at least for awhile, find the one its regulated with and use it..Butch can tell you what that regulation load is...I do know that 4350 loads have less recoil than the 4831 loads that Butch regulates with, but that can come later for you, after you become familiar with the double rifle loading.

I use a RCBS auto priming tool and it works in conjunction with the shell holder...

A RCBS A-2 press, its big and has a lot of room to work in and I can change the Die hold to the larger than 7/8x14 standard dies if necessary.

I use file trim dies for all calibers that I intend to crimp and all double rifle calibers..

I use File trim dies and Loading dies from C&H....

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Roi,
sorry, I was exhausted last night,a nd jsut trying to help. I took the words "thingy" and such to indicate less experience, rather than just being unclear on the jargon.

I was able to use the rcbs hand tool on 500 nitro, 470 nitro, gibbs, 7.62x54r... and loads of others... I can't imagine the shellholder, if designed for an rcbs press, not fitting... oh well, i aint seen everything.

i have the APS bench mounted.. and it's simply the BEST priming tool i've ever used.. you can adjust seating depth in about 5 seconds.

luck ALWAYS comes into play... and i'ld rather be lucky than good 99% of the time.

I thought the unfinished wells was about 2 times too high... so I passed on it

jeffe

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote