New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time loading belted magnum .338?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I own a new ruger bolt in .338 win mag and have never loaded for a belted magnum.Do you guys FL size the first time loading new brass and then neck size only after that?Thanks for your input!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
I inspect the brass and if the case necks are round and have good tension I load them, then neck size with a Lee collet die,GREAT TOOL,and one of the few things that I own with the Lee name.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I full-length all new brass, them trim to the length of the shortest, and after the first firing only neck-size. When I neck size I only do 1/2 to 2/3 of the neck.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have always full length my 338 brass and get 1/2 inch groups from my ruger m77. if you decide to just neck size,full lenght the first time, then just neck size and trim as needed after that. the only differance between full lenght and neck sizing is possibly group size.

i use 73.0 grains of imr 4350 or 75.5 grains of imr 4831 with a 210 nosler. this year i am going to try reloader 19