New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun for a woman
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking to buy the wife a shotgun for christmas. I have a remington 1100 in 12 ga and thats the only one I am familiar with . Anyone care to make a recommendation ? Shes only 5 feet tall but tough [Smile]

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Years ago i purchased my wife a Remington 870 Wingmaster Youth model in 20ga. This lil gun fit very well and didnt beat the crap outta her. I believe that the length of pull was around 12.5" and the barrel was 21" long with Rem chokes. It did pattern VERY tight and skeet choke was a must for small game. I even used it a few times for grouse huntin although it would bloody my nose if i wasnt careful, LOL! [Wink]

I believe that you can now purchase this gun as a "Express" model if economy or nonreflective finish is a concern.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife uses a Cetori 12ga, but I had the stock cut back to suit her 5'2 build.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If at all possible, I recommend that you take her somewhere where she can get fitted by a knowledgable shotgun expert, using a "try gun" -- a gun that has an adjustable stock for length of pull, pitch, cast off or cast on, and all other parameters. When the fitter has the adjustments done for her so that the gun fits her properly and she is comfortable shooting it, then have a stock made to those specifications.

As to the gauge and type (autoloader, O/U, pump, SxS), let her look over, handle, and shoot as many types as possible, and then choose what she likes best.

The underlying point is that shotguns are very personal items, and it is difficult to get one for someone else that this other person will really like, especially if that other person is unusually small or large or female.

[ 11-30-2002, 22:47: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless she is very comforable handling guns I would not get her a semi-automatic. There are a variety of nice side-by-sides or o/us available that are great as they are much easier to handle for a smaller person. Be sure to cut the stock to her length and have a good recoil pad installed. Start her out on some of the new 7/8oz
12-gauge loads that skeet shooters use for practice....very low recoil.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contrary to Bill, I see no harm in recommending an autoloader. Problem is her short stature, which will certainly require a cut down on the stock regardless if it's a youth model or not. Pumps are too long and in my humble opinion there is no better choice than a 20 Ga. in this circumstance. If you have the loot a O/U would be nifty, or even a SxS. Otherwise the Beretta 391 or used 390 would be an excellent choice. Autos soften the recoil, the 20 Ga frame is easier to handle for the vertically challenged and their standard clays load is 7/8 oz. I do not feel handicapped one bit on the skeet or clays course with a 20, and certainly not when chasing quail. I'm 6'2" and 220# BTW. Neat thing about the Berettas is that the stock is adjustable for drop/cast on or off by the owner. Length of pull adjustable with a saw. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too much depends on the budget and what she is going to do with it.

My inclination would be to go with a youth version of the 1100 if she is used to that. Have it fitted to her if need be.

On the other hand, a 28 gauge side by side would be plain nifty. I have an inexpensive Spanish one that the women who have passed through my life have just plain loved. Simple to operate, lightweight, low recoil, easy to hit with since it is choked skeet and skeet, and just beautiful.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
Remington 11 LT20. Started my son on it and now my wife shoots it. Cobalt

<Cobalt>
posted
Sorry, make that 1100 LT20. Cobalt

<Reloader66>
posted
Females make great shot gunners and would probably like the semi auto action as it tames the recoil in any shot gun. The 20 gauge has mild recoil and would help her become familiar with the shot gun quickly. The worst thing you can do is over gun her to start even if you say she is tough. Should she want to upgrade to the 12 gauge later, let her make that decision. Better to learn shooting mechanics on the lighter recoil of the 20 gauge than the belt of the 12 gauge. Most women are small boned and to light in body weight to start shooting their first scatter gun with the 12 guage. Go with the 20 guage semi auto or sldie action model and she most likely will be smiling after her first trip to the range, and all the shooting is done.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Like the others said, much depends on the budget, but if you want a nice hunting type gun, take a look at the Browning BPS 20 ga. youth version. It's a "nice" gun (important with women), and should fit her just right. My wife sure loves hers, and I have successfully introduced several women to shooting with it. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Super 88>
posted
I have to second Cobalt's suggestion of the Model 1100 LT-20. I gave one to my wife for a wedding present and had the stock shortened by one inch and had an additional one inch Decelerator pad made for it. The gun is bored skeet and when my wife isn't looking, I take the hard plastic piece off the butt of the stock and replace it with the one inch pad. It's so light
and easy to carry I hate giving it back to her! It has almost no kick to it, she'll love it!!!

<Super 88>
posted
I wasn't very clear with my previous post. What I ment was when my wife isn't looking I use HER shotgun instead of one of the other 5 that I own!

one of us
posted Hide Post
digitaldan hit the nail on the head. I have set-up a number of guns for kids and women and the only gun I would consider is the Beretta line of gas auto's (303,390,391) They are very reliable, easy to work on and very easily adjusted and if she drops the hobby you'll be able to sell it to a sporting clays or other shooter. I have logged over 40,000 rounds through one of mine and my buddy has well over 150k through his 303. The main issue is recoil and fit. Once the stock shortened to fit add a 1" Kickeeze sorbothane recoil pad. A further mod would be to lengthen the forcing cone and port the barrel. The result is a 12 ga that has incredibly low recoil. I would not consider giving her a stack barrel or pump. Seen a woman shoot those too many times for the first and last time. Us guys are not immune to recoil either. Shooting 2-300 rds in a day at sporting clays will make just about anyone notice recoil. I convinved a buddy of mine to buy a used 390 in a pawn shop recently. I went through it and made the above mods and polished the action. He was ecstaic with the guns performance on a recent pheasant hunt. He could not believe the low recoil with his 'hammer-um' 6's.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote