Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby(?) Tactical Rifle
 Login/Join

posted
Well, who would ever imagine that Weatherby would join in the 'Tactical craze'?

Here is their offering:

"When the situation calls for serious, tactical response, the new Threat Response Rifle features every accuracy-enhancing feature available on a production rifle. The TRR with a Mark V action sports a heavy 22" hand-lapped matte black Krieger Criterion barrel (.850 muzzle diameter), bedded to a black hybrid composite stock. A CNC-machined
aluminum bedding block stiffens the receiver area to provide a solid, stable platform for
the barreled action. The extra weight combined with a shorter, stiffer barrel enhances accuracy and allows for freedom of movement in tight or confined spaces. Standard features include 11-degree parabolic target crown, and the industry's finest,
fully-adjustable trigger system"
Specifications:
* Barreled Action: RH 22"
* Weight 8 1/2 lbs.
* Overall Length: 42 1/8"
* Magazine Capacity: 5+1
* Barrel Length 22"
* Rifling: 1-12" twist
* Length of Pull: 13 5/8"
* Drop at Comb: 3/4"
* Drop at Heel: 1 1/8"

What do you folks think?

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
hahahahahahha....

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
It's still a Weatherby...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<lokey>
posted
They should stick to the aristocratic roots, no self-respecting sharp-shooter should be caught with a high horse piece of iron like that. ~lokey

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what Roy would of thought?

He may be doing cartwheels in his grave.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great idea. If Weatherby can make a tactical rifle that is really accurate and that has features superior to or different from the rifles made by others, I say bully to them.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike from YU>
posted
It is sometimes hard to me to understand double standard criteria of some opinioned shooters. How can Weatherby in tactical guise be "high horse piece" unappropriated for serious tactical use, before anybody even tested it? Should only be rifles on "blueprinted" Remington 700 actions tactically appropriate? What about rifles as Sako 22 or Steyr SSG?
My old Weatherby was 1 MOA rifle with factory light barrel in 300 Weath. I would expect 0.5 MOA with target ammo from tactical version. Let us see tests at first.

<sure-shot>
posted
I won't knock it, who knows it may save some innocent's life.

<Big Stick>
posted
If they can sell it,good for them.

Their main competition is going to be the 700PSS,from Remington. Without doubt,the Weatherby will be more costly and suffer in accuracy(in a direct PSS comparison).

I've got Weatherby's and like them,so don't freak out. The PSS is just a well thought out and accurate/reliable design. It's stock design is ergonomically superior. It is obvious from the photo,the Weatherby TTR's stock is the same as their MKV,with a beavertail forend. My Weatherby's are amongst my least favorite designs,for continous prone/bench use. There is not a single Tactical or Competition stock in production,that has any semblance to the Weatherby offering. That tells you something(there are superior designs).

The 700 action will accept the most rugged of base and ring designs. The Weatherby does not(unless they recontoured the receiver,to accept the 700 bases. THAT would be very smart on their part).

I think it a brash move by Weatherby and it rather suprises me. Not one Tactical rifle builder,uses their actions as a basis for customization. Nor does any,in the extreme accuracy fraternity(BR,Highpower,Silhouette,etc).

So they are definately bucking the establishment. With the plethora of carefully crafted and extremely rugged 700 parts available,it seems to me an impossible notion,that the new Weatherby will burst that bubble. Or even make a ripple.

Of course,time will tell...........

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
The "interesting" part of these law enforcement tactical rifles is the range at which they are employed. The last FBI data I saw said the average range of a police rifle shooting is 70 *feet*...jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote