THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    9.3x74R for Ruger No. 1 - Neck or Full-length Size?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R for Ruger No. 1 - Neck or Full-length Size?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I haven't loaded a single round for this caliber (and haven't even gotten the rifle deliverred yet) but wonder whether I can or should neck size for exclusive use in my soon-to-be-delivered Ruger No. 1. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The 9.3 headspaces on the rim. If the case is tight you don't have the force behind it like a bolt. I would full length.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been neck-sizing mine for a while, trimming is a rare thing.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
The 9.3 headspaces on the rim. If the case is tight you don't have the force behind it like a bolt. I would full length.

But if the round is a sloppy fit in the chamber, you'll get massive case stretching & head seps. sooner than later. I partial FL size my 338x74K brass to just fit in the chamber w/ thumb presure. With FL sizing & Norma brass, head seps @ 5 reloads. With RWS brass, I am upto 10 reloads w/ partial FL sizing.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is one round I would absolutely not resize more than necessary.
Have experienced case head separations in as little as 2 reloadings with Norma brass and in 5 reloadings with RWS brass. Just picked up some Hornady brass and will give it a go as well as adjusting my resizing die.
I would back the die off the shell holder at least 1/8th of an inch, resize, try to chamber, repeat, untill the action can be closed with just a hint of resistance.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I neck size just about everything except 30-30 & 35 Rem for levers, and 257 & 30-06 for pump-action rifles.

I've only got 2 single shots, a Ruger No. 3 22 Hornet and a Mossberg SSi-One in 270; I neck size for both of them.

My inclination was to fireform either loaded ammo or fresh new-brass loads and then neck size from there on, but this is a rather different round for me (although come to think about it, not so much from the Hornet).

Anyway, any other thoughts/experiences are much appreciated. -Scott

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if the round is a sloppy fit in the chamber, you'll get massive case stretching & head seps. sooner than later

In your experience that almost non existing shoulder will provide enough stopping power to minimize case stretch?

After reading my post again I'm in error. For me I either neck size. With a neck sizer only or per the true definition I guess I partially full length resize. I cna think of only one rifle I currently own that I bump the shell holder and that is my tight chambered 223 and in that I bump a small base die.

In hindsite I should have taken the time to state my answer more along the lines of snowwolfe. Frowner

Thanks for the input. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Size just enough to ensure easy insertion to the chamber. That is is, since you do not have the camming power of a bolt.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
But if the round is a sloppy fit in the chamber, you'll get massive case stretching & head seps. sooner than later

In your experience that almost non existing shoulder will provide enough stopping power to minimize case stretch?

After reading my post again I'm in error. For me I either neck size. With a neck sizer only or per the true definition I guess I partially full length resize. I cna think of only one rifle I currently own that I bump the shell holder and that is my tight chambered 223 and in that I bump a small base die.

In hindsite I should have taken the time to state my answer more along the lines of snowwolfe. Frowner

Thanks for the input. coffee

Yep, except the 338x74K has a sharper "improved" shoulder, but in fireforming, I do the same thing; set the sizing die so a necked down 9.3 case just fits snug. this limits the stretch enough to get 10 firings so far on a test batch of RWS cases.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Now all I have to do is pull the trigger on either some new, unfired brass or a couple boxes of oh-so-pricey factory ammo Smiler

-WSJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Update: Rifle is awaiting pickup tomorrow, RCBS dies from Huntington's were delivered to the house today, six 10-count boxes of RWS 286 gr 'Mega' ammo showed up at work, scope arrived last this past Monday. I'm getting ready to make some noise with a new gun and caliber!

A Lee case length gauge is on order and I'll make some decisions on bullets to try after shooting some of the RWS factory loads.

Thanks again for the input. -WSJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
More update: Picked up the rifle (it's very nice!), mounted a scope and finally shot it a few times off-hand on Tuesday. Haven't resized any brass yet but did order 100 Hornady 286 gr from Midway and another 100 Prvi 285 gr from Graf's. Need to shoot some more loaded ammo this weekend and then clean the brass up to compare fired vs unfired necks. And the sun's out here for a change! -WSJ

posted Hide Post
I "neck size" by backing off a Full Length sizer. This moves the shoulder back just a bit, enough for easy chambering in my Valmet. I've shot RWS cases with cast bullets over 10 times.

CDD

Posts: 29 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CDD: That's my neck sizing procedure too. never had a dedicated neck sizing die for anything.

I use dry mica powder to determine the amount of sizing on the neck and then check fit to magazine and feeding with most rifles. This one, a single shot, is different and I shouldn't have to worry about the feeding part.

The barely-fit-to-chamber dimension should be a good starting point. Thanks. -WSJ