New
Find
Notify
Tools

brass stuck in resizing die????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
WTH....I was resizing some more brass and I got one stuck inside the resizing die. Pulled the press down and it ripped the edge off the casing. What the hell happened and how do I get the shell out of my die?????

One of Us
Picture of bushwackr
posted Hide Post
My guess would be that the piece of brass was dry, or that piece was damaged. I have used a good strong straight pic and a brass hammer and slowly peeled the case off the inside of the die. When you get close to the neck/shoulder area I used some Deep Creep penetrating oil (its made by sea foam I get it at carquest, Good stuff). Spray it good and slowly heat the die with a heat gun. I fiddled with it for a while and then I grabbed it with a needle nose pliers and wiggled and it popped out. It was on a lee die in 243. Die was ok still in use. Good Luck

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
- Ted Nugent -

Posts: 55 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Case was improperly lubed probably. Get a RCBS Stuck Case Remover. Not hard to use, well worth the price.
DO NOT try to back the nut off on the decapper rod and use a hammer to drive it out. Trust me on this one!
Cleo

Posts: 14 | Location: WV | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you convert to Redding body sizing dies there is no decapping rod at all in the die.
it is in the neck sizing die.
Then you just invert the die and belt it out with a punch.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
If it's an RCBS die, just drop it in the mail to them with a note. They'll either get the case out or send you a new die (for free).

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
I'd say that it would be naer impossible to get one stuck in a colet die, being the way they work...

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubs22-250:
WTH....I was resizing some more brass and I got one stuck inside the resizing die. Pulled the press down and it ripped the edge off the casing. What the hell happened and how do I get the shell out of my die?????

Get a RCBS Stuck Case Remover. Wink
you will need it again someday!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beefa:
I'd say that it would be naer impossible to get one stuck in a colet die, being the way they work...

that's great....but it's a full length die and it is stuck!!!!!!!!!!! moon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 6.5 JDJ case break off at the neck in my RCBS sizing die. In 33yrs of reloading, first time I ever saw this!
I called RCBS and they told me to return the die with $5.00 for shipping and handeling.
The pulled out the brass, polished the inside and replaced the expander ball and stem.
Great company and great customer service.

JD338

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to wait on sending the die to RCBS or getting a case remover, you can drill a hole thru the case head, tap it, and use a bolt and several different sized washers to pull the case out of the die.

Usually the cause in not enough lube on the case.

John

Posts: 89 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Get an RCBS Stuck Case Remover...talk the die out of the press and spray a little WD40 or Kroil around the stuck base...leave it alone until the case remover arrives...follow the instructions, they are simple and the case remover is easy to use...remove the stuck case...remember all the trouble a stuck case can cause...remember to use Imperial case sizing wax the next time you resize ANYTHING...AND IF IT STARTS GETTING TIGHT AND HARD TO PUSH THE HANDLE....STOP...pull the case and put a little more wax on it,then start again.

Sometimes in the winter when everything is cold the cases need a little more Imperial and the wax, die and cases need to be warmed up a bit...sometimes a case just wants to stick no matter what you do, and you don't ever know which case is looking to stick you. Mad

I've used my case remover many, many times over the many years...I still haven't completely divined the whys of stuck cases and it has become just one more of the slight hiccups that happen in the learning and doing process of reloading.

'Njoy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
usually when i get stuck, i put on a set of chains, and pour the kerosene to her.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
loosen collet, tap on expander, brass comes out.

on Lee dies, that is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
X4 the RCBS Stuck Case Remover.

Then.......listen to to what FOOBAR had to say.....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just so you guys know.....I went down to the sporting goods store and got my RCBS stuck case kit for $14.00 and that thing is the fo-shizzle. I would never use anything else for that problem. Hope this helps some other guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubs22-250:
Just so you guys know.....I went down to the sporting goods store and got my RCBS stuck case kit for $14.00 and that thing is the fo-shizzle. I would never use anything else for that problem. Hope this helps some other guys.

& too much case lube will Wrinkle the Shoulder!! Wink

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Down south
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don't want to wait on sending the die to RCBS or getting a case remover, you can drill a hole thru the case head, tap it, and use a bolt and several different sized washers to pull the case out of the die.

This is exactly how that I have removed stuck cases in the past. I've only had it happen maybe three times in 37 years but this method works well.
I actually think that I got the procedure out of one of my old reloading manuals. I keep the tap and a stack of washers in one of my desk drawers just in case I need them.

The procedure works as follows. Unscrew the decapper from the die. Don't try to remove it, just get it out of the way by moving it to the front of the case. Drill the base of the case so that you can tap it with a 5/16" NC tap. I use three or four washers that the case will just fit through but will still rest on the mouth of the die. Take a 5/16" Bolt with a 5/16" flat washer and screw it into the case with your three larger washers in between. You now have a case puller so to speak. Tighten the 5/16" bolt till it pulls the case out of the die. You can let the decapper/expander come out with the case and remove it after the case is out.

Give the die a good cleaning after doing this.

Posts: 64 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've stuck a few and helped others who have also stuck a few. The stuck case remover works.

What seems to cause the problem is not so much insufficent lube but improper application. Most folks put a heavy coat on the case upper body and neck but that isn't needed and leads to lube dents in the shoulder.

Not putting enough slick-em on the lower body and web area is what makes brass stick, coat that and you will have no problem IF you are using a good lube.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
Another great lube product is put out by Ponsness Warren, it called STOS.

prepare your cases and when you are reday to re-size stick your finger in the STOS and rub it on you palm and rub your hands together like you are washing them. Pick up the cases a few at a time and roll them back and forth in palms and place them on a clean surface. Pick up the next batch and continue untill you are done.Don't forget to re-apply the STOS.

By rolling the cases you won't get any lube on the shoulders. I have used this same method with Imperial also.

Back in the day STOS was also called Slicker Than Owl S#!T.

Please wash your hands before eating your Baloney Sandwich.

Best wishes, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Down south:
quote:

This is exactly how that I have removed stuck cases in the past. I've only had it happen maybe three times in 37 years but this method works well.
I actually think that I got the procedure out of one of my old reloading manuals. I keep the tap and a stack of washers in one of my desk drawers just in case I need them.

The procedure works as follows. Unscrew the decapper from the die. Don't try to remove it, just get it out of the way by moving it to the front of the case. Drill the base of the case so that you can tap it with a 5/16" NC tap. I use three or four washers that the case will just fit through but will still rest on the mouth of the die. Take a 5/16" Bolt with a 5/16" flat washer and screw it into the case with your three larger washers in between. You now have a case puller so to speak. Tighten the 5/16" bolt till it pulls the case out of the die. You can let the decapper/expander come out with the case and remove it after the case is out.

Give the die a good cleaning after doing this.

I had to go to a "grade 8" bolt, as I once turned the head off the bolt on a really stuck case.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the stuck case remover! It is a handy piece of kit when these mishaps occur. Sadly, it might happen again in the future...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've used RCBS Stuck case remover and also heat and cold to remove such cases.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The case remover works, but this always happens when you have to get the reloading job done and the gun store doesn't have the kit or isn't open. If you have a kit, you are golden.

If you got a tap set and a drill, you can get it out in the manner described. It is the only way that I have ever used. By the way, rather than washers, I use a socket that will fit over the case and seat on the die base, then put a washer on top to protect the socket. I keep the set up in the top of my tool chest. Kudude

I have stuck too many, but this method makes short work of the problem.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you got a tap set and a drill, you can get it out in the manner described. It is the only way that I have ever used. By the way, rather than washers, I use a socket that will fit over the case and seat on the die base, then put a washer on top to protect the socket. I keep the set up in the top of my tool chest. Kudude

Hey you have seen my set up. Like many others first time I stuck one it was late and I didn't want to run to the store. Qucik drill tape and out it came.

Speaking from experience with a RCBS if you try and use the expander to drive out the case you will bend or break it off. Frowner RCBS will replace it free but you are a week behind.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of The Old Man of the Mountain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
loosen collet, tap on expander, brass comes out.

on Lee dies, that is.

That is one of the best ideas Lee ever came up with!

The Fight for Freedom is Eternal !

Posts: 7 | Location: Occupied Texas, CSA | Registered: 06 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two kinds of people those who have stuck a case and those who will stick a case. Get a RCBS Stuck Case Remover you need it now and you will need it in the future.
I had a friend who saw mine on the shelf over my bench and asked what it was fore. I told him and he bragged he had been reloading for 20 years and had never stuck a case, a few days latter he called and asked if he could borrow my Stuck Case Remover. I had some fun with him over that one.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too much lube on the neck and shoulder causes lube dents in the case BUT dry necks and shoulders don't cause stuck cases. Sticking comes from a lack of lube on the base/web area, that's where the hard sizing occurs. Lube that area well and you're safe.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is NOT the recommended method but I've always managed to get stuck cases out- and I've managed to stick a few in various calibers in my 40+ years of reloading- by loosing the decapping rod, screwing the bushing out a turn or two, tightening the decaping rod until it bottoms out on the case- and then tighteneing the bushing into the die to force the case out. Repeat until the case is out of the die.
I think I bent a decapping rod one time but usually the case comes out fine and nothing is damaged.
I think the trick is to use the bushing as the jam screw rather than the decapping rod. With a little oil or grease on the bushing thread and protecting the knurling with some leather I can usually get a case out and be back to reloading in a few minutes. I use the portion of the rim that didn't shear off to the pull the expander ball out of the case after I screw the die back into the press.
This method works with RCBS dies- obviously won't work with Lee, don't recall about other brands.
The RIGHT was is to buy a stuck case remover but I don't own one - yet Smiler

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
If it's an RCBS die, just drop it in the mail to them with a note. They'll either get the case out or send you a new die (for free).

im glad im not the only one who thinks like this.
clap

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If neck sizing only isn't the neck all that gets the lube? Just confirming as I too am a little new to reloading. Thanks.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, just the neck. The outside doesn't really need any as it's smooth. Something on the inside helps the button to slide out easier.

I use some graphite in a shallow container and dip the neck into it. For PFLS'ing I run a brush into the neck with some graphite on it.
A lee collet neck die won't need anything anywhere.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy some Imperial Die Wax, throw everything
else away. Lube the inside neck/shoulder junction with a Q-tip dipped lightly in Imperial.
Live happily ever after.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote