Find
Notify
Tools

.35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
Just got this new cal. Not much reload info on it please help..Interested in all bullet weights but mostly the 250 gr.
Thanks Maddog..

[ 12-05-2002, 06:59: Message edited by: MADDOG ]

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maddog,
I am also new to the 35 Whelen..May I ask the action type? Prefered Bullet Brand? I have an extensive library here so I might be able to help. I suppose all depends on your expectations.
My rifle is built on a Remington 34 action,24" barrel,bedded to an old Fajen stock. Dies are on the way with 4 boxes of factory ammo to start the project off right. I like to have a factory loaded round on hand if possible to set dies,ect.ect. I have a supply of Nosler 225's here as well as rem 200's and a generous supply of cast once the barrel gets warmed and smoothed.
welcome to the "medium bore" 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might have to scroll back a bit, but there was an excellent thread going a couple of weeks ago regarding .35 Whelen loads etc. Good enough that I printed it....now if I can only find it where I put it, I'd be glad to post the link! [Smile]

Posts: 5835 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys, guys...
Hey 45nut, My gun is a rem 700 action that has been put in a H&S stock and magnaported, and alot of other work done on it. The friend that had it built, was at the range about a year ago with it and it shot great. I also shot it then. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it give me a call. About a month ago he called and said come and get it, really cheap because he had moved to bigger stuff ( more money than he needs, to many toys.. )and thought he would never use it again. It also had not been shot since that first day, one box of factory like new. Thanks for the interest. Please send any info for reloads I would love it. E-mail me and I will give you a fax # or other....
Thanks MD
PS- I want to stay with the 250 grainers, Brand not decided as of yet.. Woodleigh maby, not sure if nosler makes a 250 part, Haven't looked yet, but it would be good.

[ 12-05-2002, 18:43: Message edited by: MADDOG ]

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Maddog,

I had a 35 whelen ackley, but the powders to try are the same for 250 gr, RL 15 and Varget. Check the Alliant and Hodgdon websites, as I believe they both have data listed. You might also want to check the medium bore and favorite load forums for related threads.

It is a great round. One of it's nice attributes is being able to shoot .357" pistol bullets at mild velocties for no recoil small game and practice loads. Unique and 2400 are both good powders for such loads.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote