New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Developing a 223 load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Try Win 748 powder with CCI mag primers .. had 5 shot group with CZ that could be covered with a dime at 100 yrds with 52gr Sierra hpbt - 28gr pwd .. great little shooter .. MB

Posts: 45 | Location: NorthCentral PA - USA | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you are performing other tedious brass preparations as well, I would sort/keep brass that aggrees within 1%-2% of the average for the best loads. In practice though, this may not make much difference unless your weights are very non-uniform.

A couple of thousanths should be fine, but stick with one OAL while you are playing with powder charges.

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Assuming you are performing other tedious brass preparations as well, I would sort/keep brass that aggrees within 1%-2% of the average for the best loads. In practice though, this may not make much difference unless your weights are very non-uniform.

After depriming, sizing, and chamfering the 223 cases, I see casing weghts ranging from 90 to 95 grains. That's arounds 6%. I guess I can group them in 3 groups: 90.0 - 91.9, 92.0 to 93.9, and 94.0 to 95.9.

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Belive it or not,,de-burring the flash holes had the most pronounced effect on accuracy than anything else in my .223's.With 40 gr. pills,,,you ought to try a pound of imr4198 wth rem.7 1/2 primers through it.After you get over the crunching while dropping the charge,,,You may be pleasantly surprised at the range,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
You know, I did deburr and clean the flash hole -- just forgot to mention it. I've heard great things about 4198 for the 223. The reason I chose H335 is that I have a muzzle brake put on my Tikka, and I have been told by fairly experienced people that H335 is a slow burning powder and thus the brake is more effective with that powder.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote