Find
Notify
Tools

Best "benchrest quality" factory dies?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I know, another best dies question. I was thinking about having a super heavy rifle made (not for hunting or lugging around) in 300 Rem Ultra Mag. I like the idea of the Forster Benchrest dies, but what are the most super accurate dies you've used? I know there are lots and lots of variables, but what brand/style has done you the best?

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Forster bench rest dies in about a half-dozen calibers. Bullet run-out is consistently below 0.002". I have been very pleased with these dies and now buy them whenever possible. Unfortunately, they are not available for a few of my favorite calibers. Then I go to Redding dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
I use Forster bench rest dies in about a half-dozen calibers. Bullet run-out is consistently below 0.002". I have been very pleased with these dies and now buy them whenever possible. Unfortunately, they are not available for a few of my favorite calibers. Then I go to Redding dies.
I agree;the only way I was able to reload accurately my particular.30-378,was with the Forster,the seater is great,the FL resizes smoothly compare to Rcbs,Redding.They are not available for all calibers,I hope they were,they dont make a set of dies if not listed...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Redding type S full lenght sizing bushing die. With your choice of seating die.redding

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Forster for my 308 and 338 Lapua. Great dies. Redding is a close second. I like Lee dies more than RCBS.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are lucky that Redding does target style dies for the .300 RUM. Normally, when you go to an "exotic" caliber, you are out of luck on the dies... But in your case, I'd get a Redding "Competition Neck Die Set" - containing the Competition Bushing Neck, Body and Competition Seating dies. This is about as good as you can get, and a step above Foster in quality but above all in price (law of diminishing returns). If you feel like saving $$$ you can substitute a Foster seater for the Redding, save quite a bit of cash and not really sacrifice anything quality wise.

Actually, the real answer to the way you posed your question would probably have to be "Wilson" dies - even made in .300 RUM! In particular the seaters are popular with the BR crowd. But you'll need an arbor press for these, and they are considerably slower to use than press mounted dies. I somehow also doubt you'll see the difference in a .300 RUM, not exactly a BR caliber, and probably tough to get itsy-bitsy groups from.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using Forester Ultra Dies they work well for me in 308, 30-378, 338-378, and 22-250. Very consistent results ie runout, etc and accuracy at the range has been improved.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Wilson dies with my 300RUM benchrest rifle. keep in mind, this is a 1000yd rifle, not some varmint class rig. The dies have allowed me as low as .189" and the standard when you are on is .250" with 216gr clinch rivers. Wilson is as good as it gets, but requires more equipment.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote