Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Ultramag Press
 Login/Join

posted
I notice when people discuss presses, the Redding Ultramag is rarely mentioned. I have never seen one beyond adverts in magazines, but it looks a real tough press and being a C frame easy to use. So whats the scoop with them? Not worth the extra money or is the RCBS RC simply a better press? Been considering upgrading an old RCBS O framed press (type unknown...made of cast iron but only has single linkage rather than the double ones on modern RC presses)

So is the Ultramag worth the money?

-

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen one not operated it though.
I can't get past the "Krinkle" finish. Not very good for ease of cleaning. The darn thing would likely look like sh*t after just a few weeks use.
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used an UltraMag for years. It is one of the strongest and smoothest presses you'll ever operate.

The finish is a no worry. If you would like I can post pics of my old UltraMag that looks near new after thousands of rounds.

The new Redding T1 turret press is also impressive. The only turret press I've ever used that produces very concentric ammunition.

After using a Redding, I would be hard pressed, (pun intended [Wink] ), to ever go back to another brand.

If your press looks like shit, you may want to analyze your personal habits.

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ultramag is an outstanding press, and should last you many years of hard use. Now, if you can afford the T-7, that's the king of presses. The T-7 turret holds 7 dies, and I am certain it is the most rugged press around.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm ... appears I invented a new Redding - the T1 [Smile]

Seriously, the T7 is becoming more affordable through some of the distributors. I really enjoy the ability to change heads for different handgun cartridges.

Mine was on sale at Natchez about a year ago. Additioanl heads and the primer feed were on backorder, of course, but I picked them up later.

I use the UltraMag for my precision ammo that is hand primed and the T7 for larger production needs.

The T7 is stable enough to mount a powder measure with consistent throws.

I did have to add additional support to my bench in order to facillitate the two beasts [Big Grin]

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the RCBS Rockchucker.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
So whats the scoop with them? Not worth the extra money or is the RCBS RC simply a better press?

So is the Ultramag worth the money?

I don't think that any reloader in the "know" would argue that the Redding Ultramag is not among the best, if not THE best, single stage press available. The reason more people don't own them is simply that much less expensive presses do functionally as well.

The only complaint I have about the Redding design is that they are not set up to use either right or left hand on the handle (like the Lymans). This is a disadvantage if you prefer, as I do, to operate the handle with your left hand and utilize your (presumably master) right hand for the more delicate tasks of handling the case, bullets, etc.

If I didn't mind limiting my press operation to my right hand, then, when and if my ship "comes in", I would certainly buy one. Until then, I'll get by with my ambidextrous Lyman O-mag.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise guys. At some stage i would definately like to upgrade my present press and if I could find a good deal on the Ultramag I think I would be very tempted.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
Recently upgraded to Redding T7 from a "one holer". This press is a piece of work and weighs in at 25#. I love it. No more pulling out one die for another. With seven stations, you can easily load 3 calibers without changing your settings. There is no play in the turret that I can detect. Consider this one if you want something easier to set up without going to a progressive press.
Ron

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of the UM also! The best price I`ve seen is $169.00! I already figured out a bench modification to cure it`s only weakness.If I could get a fair price for my rockchucker or my co-ax, I would make room for one!

Posts: 68 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mich. | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ELB,

I would be interested to know what consider is the UM weakness and how you propose to cure it??

Regards

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holmes:
ouch!
Analyze my personal habbits?

OK,I did.

Maybe I have a different standard as to what constitutes "looks like sh*t".

To be honest, to me, the Redding press looks dirty right out of the box . Sort of pregrunged at the factory.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete, I thought no one would ask! I would add some kind of extend-a-shelf to the front of my bench! Left and or right sides of the press! This will allow me to place loading blocks in front of that long ram linkage, for unobstructed work access! I feel work access is the UM`s ONLY weakness! Smooth loading,

Posts: 68 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mich. | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grey eagle, you have mail! Check your pm`s !

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Hear! Hear! On the T-7 press. It makes reloading a pleasure. But, there is one thing I still need with my T-7, a extra turret head.....Anyone know where one can get a extra turret?

I called Redding back in Feb. to get one on back order, but nothing yet. Anyone had any good luck trying to get a extra turret head?

[ 08-07-2003, 03:05: Message edited by: CK ]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I got a couple from Graff & Son. They were not drilled for the little handle though(turret turner)

Posts: 13 | Location: Washington | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote