Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee case guage, trimmer question
 Login/Join

posted
I got one of those hand held trimmer, guage things by lee for the 45-70 Gov. When I try to guage a case, it seems the thing wont enter all the way. The cases are 2.10 long which is correct, but the guage still is out about 1/8" or so from the case mouth. it won't touch the mouth. the little pin that goes through the flash hole, does not enter the primer pocket. The Brass is once fire, and Full length sized. as per the instructions. any ideas?

Posts: 10 | Location: bailey co | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might need to debur the flash hole or there is something out of spec. with the guage . I have never had this problem .

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by al5:
I got one of those hand held trimmer, guage things by lee for the 45-70 Gov. When I try to guage a case, it seems the thing wont enter all the way. The cases are 2.10 long which is correct, but the guage still is out about 1/8" or so from the case mouth. it won't touch the mouth. the little pin that goes through the flash hole, does not enter the primer pocket. The Brass is once fire, and Full length sized. as per the instructions. any ideas?

The pin that goes through the flash hole is supposed to enter the primer pocket; that's how it determines final depth, when the pin contacts the shell holder. The suggestion that you de-burr your flashhole might not be a bad idea.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I would also double check to make sure you have the pilot/guage screwed into the cutter properly.

I had some Remington pistol ammo which had the flash hole off center, and I couldn't even remove the spent primers!!! I just threw them out.... I couldn't believe how bad they were!!

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
al5,

All very good advice above.

You also mentioned that the brass has been sized, so obviously the primer has been removed?

I always polish the expanded button on my Dies; ususally with some cutting oil on a used piece of 1000 grade wet/dry paper - just makes the drag on the cae neck smooter when resizing IME.

I have noticed when I do this (because I've reduced the expander diameter minutely) that I also have to polish the stud on the Lee Gauges as the case neck fit can be pretty close, especially since the 45/70 is a pretty straight-walled case.

Try some metal polish on the stud with it held in a electric screwdriver (carefully - don't reduce it's diameter - just polish) and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey al5, Without putting the Case in the Shell Holder, stick the Trimmer(with Length Gauge attached) into the Case.

1. Does the end of the Tip extend through the Primer Pocket?

2. What is the overall length of the Length Gauge - from the end of the Tip to the point where it makes contact with the Cutter?

3. What is the overall length of your "Resized and Deprimed" Case?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
al5
You must remove the primer first.

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote