New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rel 22 for 3006
 Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
Has anyone (somebuddy D)) used Rel 22 for 180gr 3006? The load in my Nosler manual calls for 61 gr maximum for a 180gr partition. Man, it sure is filling that case up!! I haven't tried seating a bullet yet.
I did a search already but couldn't seem to find anything. Is there a trick to getting 61gr in a case with a 180gr?
My old load was 57gr IMR4831 but I thought I'd try the Rel powder. Supposed to be a little faster.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've used that combination in several '06's with the Nosler Partition. Maximum load in a couple was as low as 58 grains and only one took the 61 grains. Extremely accurate combo. I'd start at about 57g to make sure everthing is fine.

Besides stomping on the powder to compact it, you can get it in there with a long drop tube on your funnel. Another alternative is to set your loading block inside your vibratory tumbler without media, and drop the powder in slowly through a regular funnel. It WILL be compressed at 61g. Just make sure you don't have the powder crunching and cracking when you seat the bullet. That will change the characteristics of the load.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Maybe try Winchester or Norma brass, they both run about 20 grains lighter than Remington and IMI brass.

In my 30-06 I am using 63 gr of RL-22. This amount of powder just comes to the bottom of the case neck in a fire-formed Norma case.

Befor the fireforming 61.5 grains filled the case to the same level.

The 63 gr charge starts moly coated 190 grain Sierra Matchking at 2900 fps from my 26" barrel with no pressure signs.

MM

<Terry P>
posted
Thanks guys. I just seated the first one with 61gr and it seemed like it worked ok. I have never used a compressed load like this before.
What MV are you guys running?
Also I'm going to try some 200gr speers. What would be a good load for the 200gr with the Rel 22?
Thanks alot,
Terry
I forgot to add..I'm using Winchester standard primers and Win brass

[This message has been edited by Terry P (edited 04-16-2002).]

<MontanaMarine>
posted
My load goes 2900.

You may well notice an increase in powder space in your cases after they are fired once. This would be assuming you only resize the neck.

MM

<Terry P>
posted
MontanaMarine,

That's quite a load from a '06. I chronographed my load of 57gr IMR4831 and with 180gr bullets it was running about 2700 (24" barrel) if I remember correctly. It's been some time ago.

I am using new unfired winchester cases and 61gr Rel 22 is coming over halfway up the neck. I'll see what the difference is after I fire these new cases. The rifle I'm using is one I've just acquired so I don't have any fired cases out of it.

Also is this powder (Rel 22) temp. stable? I maybe using this rifle in Africa someday... I hope.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Sorry I cannot give much feedback on temperature stability of RL-22. I've only been using it between 45-80 degrees. I didn't see any great changes in that temp range though.

MM

<Daryl Elder>
posted
I tried RL22 in my '06 and didn't care for it because it seems too slow if it must be compressed that much and I never did get good velocity out of it. I have read some concerns about it's temperature stability along the lines of loads shot early in the a.m. were OK but nearer noon showed pressure.FWIW.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience. With 58 gr and FC210M primers I got excellent groups but only 2570fps. I worked up to 61 grs, and the velocity was 2637fps. Accuracy was poor at the higher velocity. I think that RL22 maybe a fine target powder, the 58gr load was one hole, but I'll stick with IMR 4350 for hunting. It gives good velocity and accuracy. I use a lot of it (more than the manuuals recommend), and will not report the load, but it clocks 2750 and I can cover a five shot group with a quarter. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I load 60.5gr w/ a 180gr NP in WW brass for my son's Ruger. With the 22"bbl. I get 2750fps w/ groups right @ 1 moa.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote