Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Accubonds
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone know or have any ideas why nosler introduced the 30 cal accubond in 200gr rather than the more standard-for-caliber weights, ie. 180gr or even 165gr?

Posts: 9 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Designed for the 300 Magnums, and the apparantly work great for long range and perform on game exactly as they claim...I have talked to some Africans that are using them and they are delighted...

I have a friend that used them this year in his 30-06 at 2600 FPS and loved the results...

I loaded some up in my 06 and I got 2718 FPS for 5 shots and 3/4 inch groups in my old accurate 30-06 with a cup full of Old surplus 4831 powder...about what I get with a 180 Nosler btw...I intend to try H414 next in the 06 and will load some in my old 300 H&H also.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bbergman:
Anyone know or have any ideas why nosler introduced the 30 cal accubond in 200gr rather than the more standard-for-caliber weights, ie. 180gr or even 165gr?

Yes I have been wondering about this as well. In my mind the 200 grs weight makes little sense for a relatively soft bullet like the Accubond. IMHO all the new bonded, plastic tipped bullets (Accubond, Scirocco and the Hornady equivalent, I forget the name) are really best suited to non-magnum velocities. For that purpose, a 165-180 grs bullet weight would have made more sense. All the rest of the Accubond bullet weights are not particularly high for caliber - more sort of middle of the road, or in the case of the .375 cal actually light: .277 cal -> 140 grs, .284 cal -> 160 grs, .338 cal -> 225 grs, .375 cal -> 260 grs. Why on earth the .308 cal had to be a 200 grs is beyond me. Not that you can't shoot a 200 grs bullet successfully in a .30-06 or a .308 Win, but surely more people would buy these bullets if a 165 or 180 grs bullet was available. Don't get this!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have the Ballistics coefficient of the 200 gr. Accubond? I had heard it was very high, which would echo Ray's thread on long range accuracy.

I was thinking of picking some up for my 300 Weatherby, and doing a long range bench session.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
BC for the 30 cal. 200 gr. Accubond is .588, Sec. Density is .301.

They are introducing a 140 gr. .284 Accubond soon...don't know about a 180 gr. .308.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, please let me know what you "cook up" with the .300 H&H and Nosler 200's. I'm thinking about the same thing, but haven't done my home work yet!

Thanx in advance, Packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
180's will be out soon. There are a number of people already shooting them. Don't know what you have to do to get a gig like that though....

I too am angry they started with a 200. Dammit, it should have been a 210 or 220! [Big Grin]

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing, they wanted to push them hard to the public for use on heavy game. That combined with the high BC numbers it was sure to strike a cord with most reloaders. Most of the popular 30 calibers will shoot the longer bullet in the standard twist rates, and the trend is moving toward longer range accuracy and ballistic superiority. A wind bucking, heavy hitting, good for close or long range work was a good decision that covered most bases very well.

I'd rather see a 220gr next, but the 180gr is on the way instead. Another good decision to keep the speed demons, and the slower twist market shares happy.

It's proven to be a very accurate bullet in the two rifles I've shot them in. The 30-338 Lapua IMP is shooting it right at .5 MOA or less, the 300 Ultra Mag is knocking on the .5 MOA door, but still holds .7 MOA or less. The Ultra is shot from a bipod so I'm quite happy with it. Many groups I've shot are in the 2's and 3's, so this bullet is plenty, plenty capable of superb accuracy!! [Smile] The first three bullets out of the new 30-338 LI barrel went into .150" group, cleaning between shots too! [Smile] I still have not developed a load for either rifle, simply used the first one I tried. [Cool] [Cool]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
quote:
YES! Because for .30 cal. cartridges from .30/'06 up through the .30 magnums, 200 grains is the best all-round bullet weight for all thin-skinned game larger than deer. For deer, you don't need a bonded bullet. [Big Grin]

[ 11-23-2003, 23:52: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent Moffitt:
I'm guessing, they wanted to push them hard to the public for use on heavy game. That combined with the high BC numbers it was sure to strike a cord with most reloaders. Most of the popular 30 calibers will shoot the longer bullet in the standard twist rates, and the trend is moving toward longer range accuracy and ballistic superiority. A wind bucking, heavy hitting, good for close or long range work was a good decision that covered most bases very well.

I'd rather see a 220gr next, but the 180gr is on the way instead. Another good decision to keep the speed demons, and the slower twist market shares happy.

It's proven to be a very accurate bullet in the two rifles I've shot them in. The 30-338 Lapua IMP is shooting it right at .5 MOA or less, the 300 Ultra Mag is knocking on the .5 MOA door, but still holds .7 MOA or less. The Ultra is shot from a bipod so I'm quite happy with it. Many groups I've shot are in the 2's and 3's, so this bullet is plenty, plenty capable of superb accuracy!! [Smile] The first three bullets out of the new 30-338 LI barrel went into .150" group, cleaning between shots too! [Smile] I still have not developed a load for either rifle, simply used the first one I tried. [Cool] [Cool]

What is your load with the 200 gr in the Ultra? Velocity

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
For those who like lighter Accubonds

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/212322

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/113331

[ 11-24-2003, 01:32: Message edited by: POP ]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,

You'll probably be disappointed but, I settled on it right off the bat becuase of it's accuracy. I'll be working it up some more to see what accuracy does, who knows, it may get even better.

I'm using a wimpy load: 90gr Retumbo at 3.660" is all. The jump to the lands is near .180" if I remember right, it's big, but it shoots great... All the time too. [Wink] MV is 3015 fps AVE, ES is 22 fps, and has never been more than 24... ten shot strings on the Oehler 43.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent Moffitt:
Pop,

You'll probably be disappointed but, I settled on it right off the bat becuase of it's accuracy. I'll be working it up some more to see what accuracy does, who knows, it may get even better.

I'm using a wimpy load: 90gr Retumbo at 3.660" is all. The jump to the lands is near .180" if I remember right, it's big, but it shoots great... All the time too. [Wink] MV is 3015 fps AVE, ES is 22 fps, and has never been more than 24... ten shot strings on the Oehler 43.

Brent:

I am not as "velocity happy" as I used to be. That is 300 WBY Mag velocity and it will do just fine with thw accuracy you're getting.

Speaking of velocity I am currently using the 159 gr Groove bullets at.....3605 fps and they shoot less than .75" at 200 yds, not 100! Great performers too! But I am a tinkerer at heart so I asked about the Noslers! [Big Grin]

[ 11-24-2003, 20:30: Message edited by: POP ]

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
MHO,

I suspect the proliferation of .30 caliber magnums is the reason Nosler introduced the 200 grain offering first. A heavier .30 with a superb ballistic coefficient is a natural choice for the big-boiler-room shells like the .300 Rem Ultra, 30-378 Weatherby, the Lazzeroni, and others.

And, knowing that some folks would shoot them at elk and such, Nosler protected the reputation of the new bullet (and did justice to the animals) by introducing a heavier weight first.

Just my 2 cents,
BigIron

one of us
posted Hide Post
At Nosler's pro shop website, you can order 30cal Accubond seconds that weigh in at 180 grains.

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They had to start some where just like hornady and the Interbonds-150-165 30cal-Now there coming out with the 180gr late Dec. [Wink]

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4bambam:
They had to start some where just like hornady and the Interbonds-150-165 30cal-Now there coming out with the 180gr late Dec. [Wink]

True dat! [Big Grin]