New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Whelen loads ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
RL 15 is the perfect burn rate for the whelen and as an added benefit, its a temperature insensative powder. Works great in my rem classic with 225's and 250's.

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Whelen is an improved version, but I like AA2520 because I can throw charges with a measure and it gives good accuracy and speed. RL-15 is a great powder for all weights in the Whelen. I shoot a lot of BL-C(2) and have not tried it in the Whelen yet. I don't know why, as I go thrugh 8-10lbs a year of it. Let us know how it works for you. For hunting, I fnd the 225 weight bullets to be much better than the 200's, and save the 250's for something really big. But, the 225 sierra, nosler BT and partition will do most anythng you want. The sierra is accurate, open nicely on deer sized game, and is all you need for most hunting. The Nosler BT is stoutly built, and will work very well on non-dangerous game and the partition is well a partition great for all hunting.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot it some more today !
It is fun. I am begining to like the cartridge. It is grouping well enough for hunting, with what ever I feed it.
I put some 225 grain sierra BTs through her and some Hornady 200 grainers. I have just started playing with her, in most groups I had 2 or 3 touching and most groups were around 1.5. It was cloudy and rainy so i did'nt even try to chroney. I'll report again next week. ...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ- I have two 35 Whelens, one on a Mauser action and a pump Rem. 7600. They both like 53.0gr. of H4895 behind a 250 Spt. Speer, Grand Slam, or Partition. I also use 57.5gr. of RL15 with the same bullets. By-the-way, I use CCI BR primers with all my Whelen loads. My 225gr. load consists of 58.0gr. of RL15. I've used both the Sierra bullet and the Barnes X bullet with good results. My 200gr. load is 55.0gr. of Accurate 2520 with either a 200ptd. Rem. or 200Spt. Hornaday. It's a pretty mild load (chorographs at 2560fps), but a very effective mid-range deer load. Riley

Posts: 32 | Location: MO | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite load so far is 59.2 grains of RL-15, lit off by a Rem 9 1/2 M primer, pushing a 250 gr rn Hornady Interlock, all wrapped up in a Remington case. From my 25" bbl, I get 2624 fps over the chrony.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I just recieved an E-mail stating that my bbl shipped today, wont be long now. Maybe Ill use mine for a late Elk hunt in January.

Glad to see the positive reports about Rlr 15 in this chambering too, one of my all time favorites.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt with bolt actions, but my moose load for my 7600 in .35 Whelen is 57 grains of IMR 4895 behind a 220 grain bonded bullet of my own manufacture. I get 2645 fps out of this load.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote