SOMEWHERE on the 'net there was an article
about annealing with molten lead. It told
about melting enough lead to be deep enough
to heat up to the shoulder of a cartridge
and the length of time needed to do so prior
to placing in cold water. Has anyone here
tried this? If so, how long did you leave
the neck/shoulder in the lead?

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
When using molten lead be sure that there is NO moisture in the cases. Any moisture at all will cause an explosion of molten metal that will injure or kill.

With that warning out of the way, it takes a couple of seconds to heat the neck to the proper temp - By the time you feel the heat at the base it's time to dump the case into the cold water.

Again - Make sure that no water splashes into the lead - it is extremely dangerous.

PaulS

------------------
stay safe and live long!

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've never done it but the article I read said to use your fingers to hold the case by the base. When you feel heat, dump the case in the water quick, because are going to get some warm fingers real fast.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do it. To get the case neck and shoulder hot enough and fast enough to properly anneal, without to much heat migrating to the case head, molten lead leaves much to be desired. Lead gives off poisonous fumes at approximately 900 degrees F. More heat than this is required to anneal the neck and shoulder Right Now to reduce the chance of softening the case head. Did I mention the poisonous fumes? Try one of the mirco torches that are available. Most of these operate around 2500 degrees F and have a pinpoint flame to precisely direct the heat to the intended area. This link has a couple that would be perfect for the application.

www.leevalley.com.

[This message has been edited by DavidReed (edited 12-13-2001).]

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote