New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tight Pockets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I primed a new box (50) Nosler 7 Rem Mag brass today, using a Lee hand tool. It required more force than I've ever experienced before with new cases. The effort needed seemed to be linear, i.e. no lip on the pocket edge, tight all the way down. (No snorting, please.) I'm confident the primers are not distorted as a result. The primers are from a partially used carton of Federal Large Magnum Rifle, not Match. I think the brass is made by Norma.

Any reason you can think of why this should be a problem? I can feel the primers hit bottom.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Hornady .308 Win primer pockets are similar. At least with the WLRs I'm using. Haven't tried a different primer. Linear all the way down is a good description.

Can't see or feel a primer crimp remnant but use a hand reamer to open the lip area assuring a "good start".

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma is one of the brands that has the least problems with pockets. Sellier and Ballot cases is prone to this problem. Try a Lyman Primer Pocket Reamer and if that does not help, consider changing to another brand of primer. I solved the problem for my brother's .303Br with Remington Primers.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old Be thankfull !! your brass may last longer. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I primed a new box today. It required more force than ever before. The effort needed seemed to be linear, i.e. no lip on the pocket edge, tight all the way down. I'm not distorted as a result.

Any reason you can think of why this should be a problem? I can feel the bottom.

Sorry for the juvenile edit, saw the title, giggled and couldn't help myself.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My last box of Lapua 6.5x284 brass had such tight primer pockets that I couldn't prime them with my Lee hand primer. I had to prime them on my press for the first three reloads. I'm on the 7th loading and I'm priming them with my Lee hand primer but they're still tighter than brand new Winchester 243 brass

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a good thing. They will loosen up as you reload them, they will probably last longer as a result of the tight primers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote