New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm wadcutter recipes for accuracy/IDPA
 Login/Join

posted
Evening all,

I just got done placing my order at Dillon for my 9mm dies and conversion kit. I shoot IDPA and always shoot lead when shooting reloads at matches. After searching for a bit for pet loads I didn't find much for lead wadcutters. Looking for some input on wadcutter loads. I will be using 125gr truncated cone nose TCN. I carry a P239 and have just recently begun putting copper bullets through my TacOps.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice safe holiday all.

Sid

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Five grains of Unique or six grains of AA #5 should put you in the X ring...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you thank you sir. AA#5? Is that Accurate?

Thank you

Sid

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
AA - Accurate Arms

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Evening all,

I'm in the process of setting up my bullet seating die with my 550. these new Dillon Dies are different to me. My 45 seating die you lock down, then move the seating plug in and out to get COL where you want then lock it down. These new dies you just move the whole die. Its weird to me. No seat plug to move. You move the whole die to set seating depth. Anyway.

I picked up a bottle of AA#5 this weekend. The AA reloading data does not have a 125 gr lead truncated cone nose (TCN). They do have a lead 124 gr lead RN though. Following this data says min of 4.7 gr as a min. and 5.4 as a max. COL at 1.050. Almost running out of cylindrical surface are to crimp on. This seem normal? I have some store bought 115gr Blazers and Remingtons, both jacketed. They are measuring 1.150~1.160. That seems to match the AA data. Who knows what powder is in the store bought stuff. My seating depth normal you think even though I'm using 125 and AA is using 124?

Thanks

Sid

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally 9mm was truncated cone...see British 9mm MkI or 9mm MkIz ammunition. Or German World War One stuff. I think round nose comes into use as an easier bullet to manufacture...is all.

I used to load a true SWC in 9mm using Hensley & Gibbs #275 mould SWC-BB cast in pure linotype at 120 grains.

Fed and cycled well using GM3 or possibly GM2 (I forget which was twenty years ago) powder or Vihtavouri N320. But my apologies I forget charge weights.

Will cut a larger hole, yes, but not as defined as you'll get with H & G #68 style bullets or Lyman # 429421 style as the edge isn't as sharp.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote