New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady unique case lube
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is this to be applied to the case neck on bottle neck cases? I've stuck two cases in about 30 so far, first time using unique. I've been applying to the same area a lube pad does, and that's it, and graphite inside the neck. The last one the neck was waaay stretched on one side when I got it out.

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How are you applying the lube?
I looked at the Hornady stuff one day and it appeared that it would be similar in use to the Imperial sold by Redding.
It sounds like you might need to clean you die out and make sure it is clean. Then pick out some derelict brass load it with lube and size them. Then keep applying lube and sizing junk brass until you learn how much to apply without denting a case.
I would put it on with my fingers and use the slightest on the neck.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady's Unique to reload 223.

I don't use a pad - ever. I just rub a couple of fingers across the Unique and as I handle the brass I kinda swirl my fingers around it.

Be sure to not miss the bottom area of the case.

I little bit goes a long way. So don't gob it on.

I use a 223 bore snake to clean my resizing die now and then.

At first, I used Hornady's One Shot and I got several stuck cases. Since I've been using Unique I haven't had any.

Knock on wood

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btefft:
I use Hornady's Unique to reload 223.

I don't use a pad - ever. I just rub a couple of fingers across the Unique and as I handle the brass I kinda swirl my fingers around it.

Be sure to not miss the bottom area of the case.

I little bit goes a long way. So don't gob it on.

I use a 223 bore snake to clean my resizing die now and then.

At first, I used Hornady's One Shot and I got several stuck cases. Since I've been using Unique I haven't had any (about 500 reloads)

Knock on wood

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use it exactly the same way that btefft described. A little on a couple of fingers and twirl the case with them. A thin film is plenty and yes, I put a bit on the necks. I've used it for several years now without a single stuck case which is more than I could say about the spray on lubes I've used in the past. Oh, yeah, a tub will do many, many cases.

Persevere

SotG

Posts: 5 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give it another go. The neck is definately what was grabbing. I've never had the problem when using a lube pad, I guess maybe there's enough on the case mouth to prevent it. I've now stuck three cases in my short reloading career, and two were last night about 20 minutes apart. I was pretty hot after having just removed the last one.

The first time was a 223, these were 308s and were quite a bit harder to get out. I'm going to be really careful the next time I'm doing 375hh lol.

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
michael.tx

Have you made yourself a stuck remover yet. You can buy 'em, but its a lot cheaper to just put together the parts of one yourself.

I made me one, and it words real good. Got everything from Lowe's.

Hack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finger-lube the case lightly (or pad) from shoulder down, not the outside of the neck. BUT, lube inside of neck with mica. Small cases can stick from failure to do so. Not lubing inside case neck also causes neck to stretch, necessitating more frequent trimming.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried Hornady one shot lube one time, and had stuck cases. Tossed the crap in the trash. Usualy I use the Midway spray lube, or Imperial sizing wax.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
dancingBARDAHL. Now one more time with feeling BARDAHL! horseroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've stuck two cases in about 30 so far, first time using unique.

Unique is a good lube and is easy to clean off loaded rounds.

Yes, apply a light film to the necks but that's minor. The critical area to preventing stuck cases is the lower part, near the head. That's where they stick but that's the part many beginners neglect.

No amount of lube INSIDE a neck has any effect on case sticking in a die. It ONLY reduces the stress of pulling the expander ball back out.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
BARDAHL. Now, one more time with feeling, BARDAHL!

Someone gave me a bottle of STP. I bought a tin of Imperial. Reason? I don't have a parts washer. I reserve my dishwasher for cleaning fired brass.