New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble with Retumbo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am inquiring if anyone else has had trouble with Retumbo?? I am or was trying to develop a load for my 6.5WSM with it and am getting extreme high/low deviations. I am trying as hard as I can to keep things uniform, but something is wrong. I've had loads that ranged from a very useable 3155 to a primer blowing 3243 fps. That's quite a bit isn't it??? I called Hodgdon a while back as I was having trouble finding the powder. They said they had recalled over 4,000 pounds of it, so the market was pretty dry. Sound like a possible bad lot or just my equipment??

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that re 25 was a little inconsistant for a while to. At first people showed loads near h1000 and now it seems to act just a tad bit slower than 7828. Evidently it may be like when a new car or truck comes out--you might want to wait a year or so before the bugs are worked out.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse Jaymes:
I am inquiring if anyone else has had trouble with Retumbo??

Go here.

You're welcome.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Russell,

If you don't mind me asking. What loads are you using in your 338/378. I have one that I haven't started reloading as of yet.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the Retumbo yet (I have tons of other "gun projects" ahead of it), but my current load is 121 grains of H50BMG under a 300-grain Sierra Match King, kicked off with Fed 215M primers.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
111 grains of H5010 (slightly compressed load; drop tube would help) with 250 gr. Sierra for 3050 fps to match factory load.

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Correction: IMR 5010, NOT H5010!

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have shot Retumbo recently in working up loads for a buddies .338 Lapua and testing a 30-378 Wby, for another buddy. I have been impressed with it's consistency and accuracy. Looking forward to more use in the future. [Wink] Good shooting.

<Varmint Hunter>
posted
I'm still upset that Hodgdon dropped the H870 from their line. It figures that it was the most accurate powder in a new wildcat that I am working on. I will try the Retumbo as soon as it is available around here but that's just a shot in the dark.
VH

<grkldoc>
posted
Jesse Jaymes,

I have used Retumbo in my 22/284,6.5WSM, 6.5STW, 300 RUM with excellent results. I got the 8lb keg about 3 Months ago and have had very good consistency in velocity(like H1000). It seemed to work better in my 6.5STW and 300 RUM for the loads I tried. Never saw velocity spreads like your talking about unless I was over pressure; not since I used H870. This recall makes me want to use this keg a little slower.