THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting cases nice and clean... on the inside.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
Hello,

Another question for ya. In the past I've used just corncob or walnut media in a vibratory case cleaner (Vibrashine VS-20 from Sinclair International), toss in a little case polish from Dillon, and leave it over night to get nice brite cases... on the outside. Inside is still black as all get out, deprimed cases never seem to see much effect on the primer pockets, etc.

I'm trying to kind of streamline some parts of my reloading; I'm usually doing several hundred to a thousand rifle cases at a whack, so every discrete operation where I have to handle each and every case is under scrutiny. Partially to save time, partially to save my achin' fingers and wrists from all the little twisty motions. Ouch!

At this point, a media separator from Midway seems to have fixed the part about having to pick up and dump out every single case to make sure it didn't have media left in it. Works pretty well. Next on the agenda is someway of getting the insides of the case necks and the primer pockets clean w/o having to scrape the pockets and futz around w/ a neck brush. Again, not a big deal on 20 or 50 cases, but on 500-1000, it's annoying to say the least.

Any recommendations on getting the insides of things nice and clean? Bright would be nice, but not necessary. I emailed the people at RVO to see if they'd share their secrets for the processed Lake City cases they sell, but no response so far. I've read sketchy accounts of using Simple Green, tiny steel balls (some kind of jeweler's mix?) and water in a small rotary tumbler (Thumbler's, RCBS Sidewinder?), and I've seen the blurbs for Iosso brass cleaner in Sinclair International's catalog. Anybody have any experience w/ either of these systems, and/or any other recommendations for getting large numbers of cases as clean as possible?

Thanks,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Birchwood and Casey case cleaner.

Mix some up, toss your cases in, stir occasionally, take them out in 15-30 minutes. The trick is to make sure they are really dry before you reload, and that isn't as easy as it sounds. Doesn't get them back to new, but it does work middling well.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like a inexpensive product, try 1 part white or cider vinager in 3 parts hot water. Soak w/ occasional stir, just like the Birchwood/Casey product. Rinse in more hot water and let dry (laid out in the sun seems to work real well).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
iosso case cleaner. easy to use, can buy 1 gallon that will last a LONG time. Liquid like the rest of the products mentioned.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some add a bit of dish washing liquid to the vinegar/water, and then rinse in water/ammonia. Both can be shaken rather than stirred.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll not likely ever get the inside of cases as clean as the outside or like they were when they were new. Remember that the powder burns on the inside of the case and carbon burns right into the brass surface pretty much leaving the inside permanently discolored. A wire brush will clean the inside of the case neck quite nicely. Its pointless to try and clean the rest of the interior.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
In essence Oscar has it just about nailed down. Some of the acid etch solutions will do the job but they do eat away at the brass and eventually give you problems such as loose primers and thin necks. Yes I've been there. You can however get the insides reasonably soot free using Sodium hydroxide (Drano) [ Lye]. It won't eat away the brass but if not carefull it will do a number on your skin. It will also eat away at any aluminum containers you may use.Use glass or plastic. Because of safety considerations if you are not familiar with handling Lye don't use it.If you must do it outside over concrete or such with no kids around. The three parts I just finished have a cloudy brass color rather than a dark gray appearance. The primer pockets did not clean up very much. Does a completely clean case interior really gain us anything? For all I know maybe a dirty case interior is better. I've had some super consistant reloaded ammo that I didn't bother with cleaning the cases ; inside or out FWIW roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just take a brass or nylon bore brush, wrap some #0000 steel wool around it, and give it a few turns. It will get the necks quite clean.

As for the rest of the case, cleaning the inside?? Holy smokes, your more of a nut than I am!!..sakofan..And thats saying a lot!!!!

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't want to rinse with ammonia, which will weaken the brass.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote