New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338-06 help, please.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is probably a dumb question but since I don't know the answer, that never stopped me before.

Through a series of misadventures(spending my money) I now am the somewhat proud owner of not one, but 2 rifles in the above caliber.

To make it shorter, what is the easiest way to form, make, produce brass to reload. Will running .35 Whelen through a .338-06 sizing die work? Thanks for any hints.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using R-P .35 Whelen brass works great. One pass through the sizing die and you're done. I find the necks are more uniform necking down the .35 Whelen brass as opposed to necking up .30-06 brass.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find running 30-06 brass up to 338 works just find I would use what ever cailber brass you can get the cheapest.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that .35 Whelen brass passed once through the .338-06 die (adjusted to place the headspace-controlling shoulder at a light squeeze fit when the bolt is turned down) would be the deluxe, if more expensive way to go.

Alternatively, it's no trick to neck .30-06 brass up to .35 and then back down as you would .35 Whelen. It just takes one more step, but is best done using a tapered expander. The main issue is whether .35 Whelen brass is available and at a reasonable price compared to the more common '06.

If you simply try to go straight from .30 up to .338, then your headspace will be whatever-the-devil the original '06 brass was, which MAY or MAY not be fine for either or both of your .338/06 chambers, depending on how long their respective headspaces.

Either way, .35 to .33 or .30 to .33, is not a strain.

Now, don't tell me you're just gonna shoot them big ole east Texas hogs with these guns?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have had no problems going from 30-06 to 338-06.Redding and RCBS dies have tapered expander buttons.I do use Imperial Sizing Die Wax to make the job easier. I used Fed. GM and Lapua brass both were easy to form.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I use the 35 whelen brass & it's quick & easy & the neck thickness is uniform.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
.30-06 brass works fine. I fireform w/ a med. load to get proper headspace. Whelen brass works well also, but can be expensive. I also use the Redding dies w/ the tapered exp. button. Great caliber for most hunting here in the states, Alaska or Africa.

[ 11-12-2002, 04:38: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ditto what Fred stated above me! Great minds DO think alike Fred.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One consideration I never see addressed: I have several 30-06 but no 35 Whelen (forgive me for my sin), so I know by the headstamp that the round is actually 338-06 when I grab it. Simple is good.

Posts: 152 | Location: Carlisle. PA | Registered: 25 September 2002Reply With Quote