Find
Notify
Tools

Sooty 40 S&W reloads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
I shot some loads I made containing 4.4grs of Titegroup and 180 XTPs, as well as 4.3 grs TG and hornady 180 lead bullets. The lead loads produced visible smoke when fired, but both loads produced sooty cases and dirty barrels. Is this typical with TG or whats the deal?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
1st I don`t load for the 40 S&W.
I do however use Titegroup in my 45acp and found it was "sooty" at lower pressure. I know the 40 operates at higher pressure then the 45 but you still might be a little on the low side for best burn.
The lube used on cast bullets will also add to the soot and smoke one gets when useing them. If you are trying a new brand that might be some of it too.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with titegroup, so take this for what you've paid for it, but I have found that in general a sooty case (especially if it is sooty on the outside but that is usually rifle cases) can be cleaned up by increasing the powder charge. As usual, don't go over max loads etc etc.. A sooty barrel can just be the result of the powder used and so I don't pay attention so much to that.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
I have no experience with titegroup, so take this for what you've paid for it, but I have found that in general a sooty case (especially if it is sooty on the outside but that is usually rifle cases) can be cleaned up by increasing the powder charge. As usual, don't go over max loads etc etc.. A sooty barrel can just be the result of the powder used and so I don't pay attention so much to that.

The issue w/ TG & other uberfast powders is the narrow loading range. I will not load uberfast powders in high pressure rounds at anything but mousefart levels. The smokey lead bullets is the lube used to keep leading to a minimum. All lubed lead bullets will smoke to some extent.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that you wanted a powder that was very fast in autoloading pistols in order to properly cycle the slide. I usually use 180 gr bullets in this xd, what are some powders that work well in autoloaders?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Unique in the 40S&W and 9mm; Red Dot in the 45ACP. I don't shoot lead so I can't speak to that however, the soot problem is minimal with my brass.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
I was under the impression that you wanted a powder that was very fast in autoloading pistols in order to properly cycle the slide. I usually use 180 gr bullets in this xd, what are some powders that work well in autoloaders?

I`d look at Unique or PowerPistol, something in that range.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:

NOpe, you use uberfast powders for their economy & slight reduction, very slight, in recoil. A med. burner like Unqiue, WSF, Univesal, PP, HS^ works acorss a borader range of reloading across all the bullet wts. for any service pistol round.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote