Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy cupped primers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I've heard that CCI makes a special large rifle primer with an extra thick cup, for use in semi-auto and full-auto rifles. Purpose is apparently to resist slam-firing, among other things. I believe I even once saw the number of that primer and that it was distinct from both the 200 and 250 series of CCIs.

Can anyone confirm whether such a primer exists today, and if so, what it is called? Better yet, have you actually used any of them?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those would be CCI No 34 (large rifle) and 41 (small rifle) Military Rifle Primers.

Yes, they're still available.

No, I've never used 'em.

I have yet to see anyone shooting a handroll experience a slamfire that couldn't be attributed to a high primer.

Posts: 139 | Location: Fairmont, WV | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Charlie Ho -

I will try to find some of those #34's. I have a double rifle where the primers are extruding into the firing pin holes when fired. They are not perforating, but are making the gun very difficult to open. Maybe the CCI 34s could prevent that.

Thanks again, and best wishes,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your welcome!

I never thought about that application for them. Pretty good idea there, hafta file that one away in the memory banks.

Best of luck!

Posts: 139 | Location: Fairmont, WV | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GI Brass or Hitech ammo has them listed pretty cheap. I use them in all my 30-06 loads because of auto loaders I have

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the CCI 34 primer is thicker than a usual primer. I think it is harder rather than thicker.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whether harder or thicker, or both, the military-style primer might just reduce or eliminate your problem with extruding into the oversized firing pin holes. The other alternative is to have the holes rebushed -- but the military primers would obviously be a cheaper fix if they work.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeh7mmmag:
GI Brass or Hitech ammo has them listed pretty cheap. I use them in all my 30-06 loads because of auto loaders I have

Thanks very much for the source. I am going into town to the local gun emporium (Cascade Ammo) today, but doubt they will have them in stock even though they have one of the master dealer arrangments with CCI. If they don't, I'll get them from GI Brass. They are heads up folks and I need some more powders anyway.