Find
Notify
Tools

What new gun to buy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted
I have recently freed up some funds for a new rifle ,I pose this question. I am looking for a long range varmit gun that is easy on the wallet to shoot, can be relaoded, and is somewhat accessable for ammo. I am considering a 223, 22-250 or 220 swift. What are the pros and coms of either. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the help so far, Things are working alot better for my reloading since I joined this forum

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.223 wins on all counts unless you need to shoot more than 300 yds

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you mentioned you want a long range varmint rifle I would hardily recommend the rifle be chambered in 22-250.

I also would readily recommend a Remington varmint model rifle. (700VS, 700VLS, XR-100. etc) They are a little heavy to carry around, but they generally shoot quite well right out of the box. They usually just need a good scope and a trigger job.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by long range? 200-400 yards. the .22-250 & swift are both the superior to the .223. The 204 also bests the .223 easily at those distances.

If you mean over 100 yards, .223 is the cheapest do it all round, but the 204 is a close second.

If you mean 300-500+ forget the .22 and move to a 24, 25, 26. Extra bullet weight, less wind drift and high BC at those distances negate any advantage initially gained in velocity.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersSavage 12bvss in 22-250. beer thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

I have the Savage in .223 and 22-250, I shoot the .223 the most, it's cheaper, and does most of what I need in a .22 centerfire. It also allows me the see my bullet strike, the 22-250 has enough recoil to move the scope off target.

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22-250 in my opinion and I also think that you can flip a coin between a Remington and Savage. They are both great . The new guy on the block is CZ I have several they have great triggers out of the box all were less than 1/2 inch out of the box. I would be hard pushed to make a decission between any of the three.

One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
O.K. I have to ask, Let me first say i own 2 savage rifles and they are both great performers. My 270 is my favorite gun overall. I also own a browning a bolt (not impressed with brownig at all) But I was thinking about buying a ruger this time. Why does everyone here recommend savage so highly? I own them because they are inexpensive and they seem to function well without any problems. Why does everyone here recommend them so highly?Is there something I dont know about savage?

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

well most of it is right but i'd go 22-250 ai in a savage. ai because you can still shoot factory ammo in it.

you can load a 22-250 down to 223 but ya can't load 223 up to 22-250 or 220swift standards.

cases for the 22-250 aren't that much more expensive uses the same bullets and if ten more grains of powder is gonna break the bank i suggest you get a part time job. Roll Eyes

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savages are recommended for one reason. Generally they are great shooters. People like to knock the ugly nut and call then cheap junk because they cost less, but no one knocks the fact that your chance of getting a tack driver off the shelf is much better than any other brand.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote