Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

QL-Shank seating depth
 Login/Join

posted
One of the input variables in the "Cartridge Dimensions" box is "Shank Seating Depth". How do you determine that.

NRA Life Endowment member since 1956

Posts: 12 | Location: Northwest Florida, USA | Registered: 20 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The bullet length is set in the data base.

When you set your COAL the shank depth is backed into. If you set the COAL too long with a short bullet it can go negative. So you need to shorten COAL.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So you measure the length of the bullet and enter that as well as trimming all cases to the same length and enter the length of YOUR cases, and QL calculates for Shank Seating Depth.

Thus, Shank Seating Depth is not an entry, but a result. Right?

NRA Life Endowment member since 1956

Posts: 12 | Location: Northwest Florida, USA | Registered: 20 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shank Seating Depth is not an entry, but a result. Right

tu2

Most bullet lengths are in QL data base so once you select a bullet it will fill in the bullet length and calculate seating depth using the std case length in their system as well as std COAL. so if you change COAL CL or bullet length the shank will adjust.

So long story short don't worry about it. Unless it starts calculating too short to properly hold a bullet. I shoot for one caliber but use .25 as minimum for 25cal and larger.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote