Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 Winchester Load for Whitetails
 Login/Join

posted
I am currently reloading for a rem 243 BDL. I have successfully worked up loads for target shooting, but I am interested in developing a load for hunting Whitetails this fall. Most of my shots will be under 100 yards with a possibility of shots out to 150 yards. Can anyone recommend a good bullet and powder combination for hunting whitails under these conditions?

Posts: 1 | Location: Berlin,Md. | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My middle son (age 12) has been using his 243 on whitetail and hogs very successfully the past few years. The load uses the 95 gr Nosler Partition over IMR 4350 powder in Winchester brass ignited by CCI standard primers.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Welcome...

I've had particularly good results in the model 700 243s I've had using AA3100 and various 100 and 105 gr bullets. Start at 40 grs or so and work up a grain at a time - you can probably get up to 42-44 gr without too much diffculty, depending on your rifle, temp, primer, OAL, etc. I am partial to the 105 gr Speer, though you will receive lots of recommendations for the 100 gr. Partition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good results with the 95gr Nosler Par., Win. Brass, CCI primers and a near max load of IMR 4064. Shoots very well out of my 700.

Kind regards
Carl

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a lot beat me to the 95 grain partition suggestion. The only thing it will give over the 100 grain is more velocity, because of less bearing surface as told to me by Nosler.

I also have to agree with 9.3 x 62. I really am partial to the 105 grain Speer. It is the best of all the non premium bullets. Work up to this if you choose this load, but my favorite receipe is 44 grains of H 414 and a large rifle primer ( no mag primer). This is 2 grains over max load in the Hodgdon Manual # 26. Velocity is in the neighborhood of 3250 with this bullet. However understand you don't need to wring every last fps or footpound out of a 243 to make it work.

Two other bullets that I highly recommend, are the OLD 100 grain Round Nose at 2900 or so. At 150 yds, you don't have to worry about trajectory. In my experience it will perform as good as a Partition any day. I am a fan of Round Noses because they just plain work and have for a long time.

The last is the " New Fangled" stuff. The Barnes 85 grain XLC ( with the blue coating on it). If you want velocity and terminal power then this is it. If I had to use a 243 for Elk or something that big, it would be my first choice, the Round Nose second, and the Partition third, and then the 105 grain Speer. Actually any one of the bullets, I would feel confident that the bullet would be up to job on Elk if that is all I had to carry and I WAS UP to the task with shot placement.

Good luck.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote