Find
Notify
Tools

Scratching my head
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
on this one.

">.25 STEVENS RIMFIRE: Old single-shot guns in this obsolete caliber can be cheaply fired again by using .27 caliber #5 Power Loads from Home Depot behind #2 buckshot."

Comments, anyone?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think what they're talking about here is the power loads used in "powder actuated "nail guns. I use them quite often for driving nails into concrete (via a nail gun). They are made by Remington and they are a 22 rimfire less the bullet, sorta like a blank. Funny you ask,was just using some the other day and was wondering how they would work in place of 22 blanks.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, didn't catch the 27 caliber ref. I think what I described is available in both 22 and 27 caliber loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Craigster.

I had gotten about that far. I am just wondering whether this is a bright idea or total lunacy?

I know the buckshot is workable.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was kinda wondering the same thing myself. I think it might be OK as long as excessive pressure isn't created. Not sure about the 27 cal loads, but I do know that the 22 cals are available in low, medium, and high versions. Let us know how this works if you decide to go there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
I would have to butt in here and warn you what you speak of will probably blow up your gun. Remington's own web site warns in big letters
NEVER USE IN A FIREARM,,,,these power loads are manufactured to different standards from any other ammunition,Consider the job they are designed to do= drive a nail into concrete.
This requires a totally different pressure curve than that designed for driving bullets out a bore.
Please refrain from attempting this practice.
I would hope to read many more posts from both of you. Please,please please,,, go to remingtons web site and read it for yourself or ask them personally,they have a 800 number on their website. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45nut, thanks for your input. Reminds me of the old saying," there are old reloaders, but there are no old bold reloaders".

one of us
posted Hide Post
45Nut,

I apreciate your concern. I would not do anything I considered truly dangerous, but I cut the tags off my mattress. Warnings don't scare me much unless they are backed by facts. The rifle in question is a Stevens model 44 which was used for .38-55 and .32-40. I can't see 3 grains of anything short of straight nitrogycerine blowing it up.

The short crimped case would be hard pressed to get three grains of anything in it. I bought a batch. (100 for $10) and fired one as a blank. Fits chamber, fired perfectly, case did not bulge, report less that I would have expected from .22 LR. There was a small crack in the crimped part of the case, but that did not surprise me.

I am hunting around for some #2 or #3 buckshot or some cast .25 acp bullets. If I hear anything concrete before then, I will desist, but it has to be concrete.

After all, I have fired Rugers without sending for the instruction manual.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gents,
I was only trying to help,I value life,liberty and the pursuit of firearms....accepting that I just don't wish anyone to lose a gun,eyesight,or worse. I have a few ruger's here too and I would be hard pressed to find a manual for any of them.
Just my humble opinion I guess,and not wanting to find out someone blew up a fine old gun before I had a chance to shoot it. There are sources for the stevens rimfire ammo it was designed for after all. or maybe a rebarrel is in order...45nut

one of us
posted Hide Post
45nut,

Your caution really is appreciated. Were the gun in question one of the cheapie boys rifles, or a tip-up pistol, I would stop the project right here.

Because of your post, I did go to the Remington website and read their cautions. It looked to me like legal boilerplate, with perhaps a real concern about someone using them in a zinc starter pistol. You are making me think much more carefully about the risks, and that is a good thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Right on ,,,See this can be settled without flames,insults,general negatives like those seen on the Big Bore columns a bit back. Some good men here and there,some idiots.....Jeeze the flames were really going there for a bit and it's nice to see it settle back down to useful tidbits and the like. Thanks all 45nut

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Leftoverdj,

Since you already got 100 cartridges, when you get your #2 shot why not open one up and pour out 3/4 of the powder and try that, then take one and remove 1/2 the powder, and go up the ladder that way. Since someone wrote about doing it there is a chance that it works, so just work up the load safely.

I'd still wear safety glasses though [Smile]

[ 11-13-2002, 10:49: Message edited by: MarkWhite ]

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Opening one up would be more dangerous than shooting it. Think .22 short that has been run into a crimp die. These things are truly tiny.

You are right about the eye protection. I wear safety glasses every waking moment, but I'll add goggles over them.

I really think this is only one notch up from using 209 primers to shoot .22 air rifle pellets out of a .22 centerfire using drilled out cases.