Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

11.5" AR and blue dot loads
 Login/Join

posted
anyone try this???8 to 10 grains. small rifle primer and 55gr FMJ I am trying ti get a not so loud bang for my wife and her friends to try,,,

Thanks

Jamie Barkwell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jamie:

I have also tested blue dot loads down to 8 and 10 grains and lower. I have posted the data, on the 223 on the forum now.

I have tried this in bolt guns. The problem with the reduced recoil in blue dot loads, is that it is low enough it will not cycle the bolt on AR 15 semi auto and autos.

If you have a barrel that is only 11.5 inches ( I think those are illegal in the USA, as all rifle barrels have to be 16.inches plus. One think about Blue Dot being a faster burning powder, is that most of it is burnt up in the first 10 rto 12 inches in the barrel, so a short barrel will not be handicapped on velocity by its shorter lenght.

8 grains should give 22 Mag velocities and 5 or 6 grains give 22 Long rifle velocities.

Good luck if you try it
cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe since the assault rifle ban has been lifted, its all legal now.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/ban_free.html

Go to the bottom, it explains it all. Apparently lots of folks are spending the money for the rifles marked with "law enforecement only" because it does not apply anymore. I looked at a few weapons, and they are all on backorder. Apparently folks are buying it "like it's going out of style".

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sorry guy's I am in Canada and we can have AR's with 4" barrels if we want Big Grin...cool if it will not cycle the bolt what a bout a subsonic load with the 55gr FMJ???

Thanks Jamie Barkwell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
to clear up the legal issues with a short barrel. For a SEMI-auto rifle, the barrel must be longer than 16" UNLESS you pay $200 and register it as a SBR (short barreled rifle). IF the rifle is a FULL-auto, then you can have any length barrel you want on it.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
well in canada we can have any lenght we want Big Grin

gunsmileJamie Barkwell