Find
Notify
Tools

Case Capacity Information?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted
Anyone know where I can get information on the case capacity (in grains) of various cartridges, including wildcats? Thanks!

Jim

"Learn to disagree without being disagreeable" - Ronald Reagan 1981

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Dog,

Any specific cartridges in mind?

I looked over the data on the Chuck Hawks link and for the most part it seems reasonably accurate. The -06, 300 Mags, 45-70, etc were all right where they should be.

The only ones I saw that weren't right were the 416 Rigby and 460 Weatherby magnum, both of which are about 6% high.

I have some wildcat data and many big bore cartridges data from measured cases.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, guys! AC, I'd like the capacities of the 250 Savage AI and the 6.5-06 AI if you have them. Thanks!

"Learn to disagree without being disagreeable" - Ronald Reagan 1981

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
I assembled a list alongside a calculator I use to estimate case volumes. For grins, I put it on the web. The list includes some archaic cartridges and a few wildcats, but it's most standard stuff. If you have the basic dimensions, the calculator can be used to estimate an "improved" case's capacity.

For accuracy, you should measure your cases, but this list should get you in the ballpark. According to the Clown, my numbers for the two big bores he mentions will be found to be a bit high (I don't own a rifle for either).

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The water capacity for the 250 Savage Improved is 50 gr. Found the info on the web last month when i started a custom XP-100 project

Posts: 22 | Location: Carmel/Kent New York | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote